Question On Using Software With Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracker44

Hello, well just about the time I seem to be getting use to using my new Scanner Software something will happen to cause a set back. But I do feel like I am getting there.
I am using ARC500 software, and so far I really like it . but I sometimes find my self not being sure about why this or that is happening.
I am using this soft ware to program a Radio Shack Pro651 scanner with Windows 8.1 computer.

Lets say that you are adding some Conventional frequencies to a Trunking and Conventional system that is all ready in the scanner. When I am finished I usually want to save the main set up plus the new added frequencies. In the upper left side on the computer screen the first two buttons in the software tool bar is
(Open then Save). If at this time if I hit (Save) , nothing seems to happen. Is that because the system is already saved except the new frequencies ????

At this point I usually click on (File) and click on (Save As) and then give it a new title and then click save.
Some times , some how during this procedure I wind up doing something wrong and want even know it.
It has been referred to as (The Entry was over rode). I am not real good with a computer when these road blocks happen. At that point when I click on (Open ) nothing will happen, nothing will Open. That gets scary, with a chance of loosing the entire loaded scanner system I have worked on could be gone.
Ounce your finished editing an all ready loaded scanner system and ready to Save and Up Load it to the scanner , what are the exact steps to Save the programmed system and the newly added material before sending it to the scanner ????
TNX----Tracker44

RDGDigital

In ARC500 when you open a file and make changes, and then click the "Save" button on the toolbar it will save your new setup to your existing file without prompting you if it's okay to overwrite that file. It will just save it without any prompts. You can verify this by clicking the "Open" button and looking at the date stamp of that file. It will now show today's date.

I typically never use the "Save" button as I prefer to use the Menu choice of File>>Save As and then give the file a new name. This way you'll have copies of both the old setup and the new setup. This way if your new setup doesn't work, you have a copy of your setup before you made changes. Personally, every time I make changes I will save them to a new file. This way I'll have a copy of all changes I've made and can go back to any one of them.

I believe the message you're seeing about "The Entry was over rode" is actually happening when you select File>>Save As and then click on one of the existing files. It will then prompt you with the message "XXXX File already exists. Do you want to replace it?" This is just a warning that you are about to overwrite an existing file and not create a new file. Personally, I'd suggest when you see this message you click "No" and then give it a new file name.

I've mentioned this before, but I know it's a lot to absorb. I like to give my files a name that includes the date stamp. For example, I name my files similar to "YYYYMMDD-Short Description.gr5" where YYYY=4 digit year, MM=2 digit month and Day=2 digit day of the month. With this method all my backup files will be listed in chronological order and if I ever need to I can restore from a particular point in time, or to a point before I made a certain change (as described by the "Short Description") that turned out to be causing me problems.

Hope this helps, and I know it's a lot to absorb. Good luck learning you new scanner.

majoco

Stirrer
Most Windows programmes use the same phrasing.
"Save" will replace your old work with the new work - fatal if you wanted to keep the original.
"Save as" gives you the option of saving your new work with a new name or add a serial number. If you just click on "Save" it will ask if you want to replace the old document.

Tracker44

TNX, for the information. I usually try and keep the old file , as RDGDigital mentioned. No longer than I have been doing this I did notice the benfit of saving the old file. I also like giving it a new name.
If I understand it right then , when you click on (Save) when your through editing the older file it will automatically make the changes to the older listed file. I will start looking at the date when doing this.
Thats really neat .
TNX----a TON

RDGDigital

I think you've got it now with 1 minor observation. The "Save" button can act in one of two different ways depending on how you opened the file. First, if you open the file by clicking the "Open" button (or selecting File>>Open from the menu) then when you click "Save" (or select File>>Save from the menu) it will just save to that file without any prompts. And Second, if you download from the scanner and then click the "Save" button, then it will prompt (just like when you select File>>Save As from the menu) to save to a new file.

In other words, if you open a file and click "Save", it will save without any prompts. But if you download from the scanner and click "Save", then it will prompt for a file name. This is pretty consistent with the way all Windows programs work.

Tracker44

I believe I have whole lot better understanding of whats going on in that part of the operation now.
I will be printing that information out and keeping for future reference.
TNX again Take Care

Status
Not open for further replies.