Base scanner set up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluesky95

Premium Subscriber
I have a bct15x that i recently purchased, with a radioshack base antenna that i have set up. I also have a radioshack BC72xlt handheld scanner that i had for a while now, yesterday i turn on both scanner to see how strong the bct15x then a radioshack uniden nascar , but both scanners were receiving good , and the same. I dont know if my cables , and connection are good. My question is, how do you check your swr meter, which i dont have one. Ihave a cb radio swr, was wondering if i can use that?

DickH

I have a bct15x that i recently purchased, with a radioshack base antenna that i have set up. I also have a radioshack BC72xlt handheld scanner that i had for a while now, yesterday i turn on both scanner to see how strong the bct15x then a radioshack uniden nascar , but both scanners were receiving good , and the same. I dont know if my cables , and connection are good. My question is, how do you check your swr meter, which i dont have one. Ihave a cb radio swr, was wondering if i can use that?

Go to the weather band and find a weak station.
SWR is to check transmitter output. It is not for receiving.

N8IAA

What difference were you expecting?
Larry

Bluesky95

Premium Subscriber
The difference that i was expecting was bct15x would have way stronger then a radio shack scanner. Since the bct is way more expensive.

N8IAA

The difference that i was expecting was bct15x would have way stronger then a radio shack scanner. Since the bct is way more expensive.

Way stronger receive? Antenna, will improve your signal, not more scanner. If you are using the antenna that came with the handheld, and the telescoping antenna with the 15x, you won't improve what you are trying to hear.
A decent external antenna is what is needed.
Larry

Blackink

I agree with Larry. If it's a stronger signal you want, then get an external antenna.

The stock antenna that came with my BCT15X scanner pulls in around 15-20 miles from me and I'm in some pretty hilly country-lots of mountains.

When I put an ST-2 antenna 12' up above my roof top, those miles tripled easily. I now hear activity 60 miles or more away from me.

I would imagine if I connected that BC72XLT to my ST-2 antenna, I would get similar results.

Bluesky95

Premium Subscriber
O okay, thanks guys for all the information. I probably will learn alot more from you guys as the day goes on.

Status
Not open for further replies.