Separate receiver or computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonnie508

I am interested in listening to ham operators worldwide, local police, fire, aircraft, and marine. Is it best to get a separate receiver\scanner or use the computer by itself. I see that you can access different broadcasts online.

toastycookies

I would go with a stand alone receiver.
you're not going to really find a one fits all solution though if you want to listen to world wide bands.

what interests you the most?

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
You will only be able to listen to local services if a feed is currently available, then only certain channels such as police dispatch only ( tactical channels are not permitted) where if you had a scanner you could hear it all.

Lonnie508

I will be more interested in local traffic (police, fire, aircraft, etc.). World band receivers have a scanning function. Would that be useful to me if I wanted to "have it all?" Meaning local traffic and ham operators around the world.

Last edited:

majoco

Stirrer
World band receivers have a scanning function.
Do they? None of my HF receivers have a scanning function that works very well - they certainly step through a series of frequencies but they don't stop on signal as a VHF scanner does.

Separate receivers for separate functions and you'll need separate antennas too.

Degen 7313, JRC NRD 515, WinRadio G33 and 303e, Kenwood R2000, Yaesu VR5000, UBCT 8 and lots more....

Status
Not open for further replies.