Tecsun PL-660 will not turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hereathome

Hello, I am new to this forum and it is a valuable resource I can see. I have Tecsun PL-660 radio attached to an external antenna and really like it. I was away for a few months, took the batteries out, but left it plugged in. Now I cannot get it to turn on. I checked the voltage out of the transformer and it is a little over 7 volts open circuit. I tried putting new batteries in, pressed the reset button, but it will not turn on. There is no lock displayed on the screen and the light will not light. I took the batteries out and disconnected the transformer, pressed and held the power button thinking that may reset it as well as pressing and holding the reset button. The radio is simply dead. Any ideas as to how to get the radio to turn on? Thank you very much.

gregtheham

Did you fix your radio?
I have a similar problem, but expect it was caused when I was cleaning the front with a soft cloth. Alfter that, it will not turn on. I expect some combination of pushbuttons in some fluke order has locked it somehow. Obvious things like doing the reset ( small recessed button) and removing batteries, using the charger etc, do not make a difference.

The "lock" function is NOT on, however the clock and light works. I have made sure all pushbuttons are not stuck, as that has caused a lockup before ( I removed front cover)

One interesting note is that , with PS plugged in, and pushing various buttons while turning the tuning encoder, DID cause the display to go to a "radio on" mode .( not long enough to hear the audio)

I do not know if there is a factory sequence for an servicing- this IS a software defined radio...
Next to the encoder pot, between the light and scan buttons, is a 4 pin connector for some kind of out-board plug-in...

I hate to have to return it for service. Postage / insurance etc will likely hardly make it worth it from Canada. Hope the importer can offer some service info -but anyone with other ideas , please let us know.

Similar service problems on other radio equipment usually pointed to a control voltage problem and failed zenier etc..hummm

Hereathome

I solved it by buying another radio. The Tecsun PL-880. So far I like it but do miss the aircraft band,

Draw3691

Hello, I am new to this forum and it is a valuable resource I can see. I have Tecsun PL-660 radio attached to an external antenna and really like it. I was away for a few months, took the batteries out, but left it plugged in. Now I cannot get it to turn on. I checked the voltage out of the transformer and it is a little over 7 volts open circuit. I tried putting new batteries in, pressed the reset button, but it will not turn on. There is no lock displayed on the screen and the light will not light. I took the batteries out and disconnected the transformer, pressed and held the power button thinking that may reset it as well as pressing and holding the reset button. The radio is simply dead. Any ideas as to how to get the radio to turn on? Thank you very much.
You say you were gone for a few months and left the radio plugged in and you also have an external antenna If you left the antenna connected and the power source plugged in, you for any extended period of time (ie.: vacations) it was a mistake. To leave electrical components connected to anything during stormy weather(lightning) is a mistake. I live in So. Cal and I know that. Perhaps that might be your dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.