Remote head scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I'm looking for makes and models, if any, of scanners that have a remote head, for a cramped space.
Don't need to be the latest and greatest, even strictly analog is fine, all I want to listen to is ham freqs.
Would prefer something I can listen all the way from 10 meters to 900 MHz, but those bookends are not a must.

Thanks for any help.

Triangulum

I will get this one out of the way first and let others fill in the rest....

The Whistler WS1095 is being released sometime in the summer. I know you said you don't need the latest and have interests in ham and analog so this might not be necessary. Its also going to be relatively pricey, costing at least 500 at launch.

marksmith

The Uniden 996xt supports a now discontinued remote head, though you can still find them around. It's a digital phase 1 radio, running g in the neighborhood of $330 plus whatever the remote head costs.

Other than this and the Whistler about to be released (couple hundred $ more but the head is included) I don't know of any others that drive a remote head option.

Mark
536/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/
396XT/PSR800/PRO668/PRO652

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'm using a Uniden 536 that is mounted in the console of my pickup truck. An old iPhone with the Siren App functions as the remote head. Unfortunately at this point I still have to change the volume at the scanner - hopefully this will be changed in a later Siren update.

I'm using ProClips mount for the iPhone plugged into a 12V outlet to keep it charged.

Previously I used a 996XT with the RH 96. It worked very well other than for distortion on simulcast systems.

Last edited:

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
Any of the inexpensive 7-10" Windows 8.1 tablets (with real Windows) will function quite reliably using the various remote control software (WinXX, ProScan, IDTracker, etc.)

SCPD

QRT
Thanks

Thanks for the great advice. Although I appreciate the smartphone and tablet suggestions, not the route I wanted to go.

The Whistler may be a good way to go, there is some P25 activity near me. I'll need to make sure it will rx 900 ham. Did a quick peek at it on Universal Radio's website, and it says cell freqs blocked. Sometimes (VX5R radio for one) blocking cell also blocks 900 ham receive. Kinda silly, is there even any analog cell left?

I'll start by looking around for this Uniden remote head. It's a rare bird, eh? Anyone know if the cable between the head and radio is easier to find? Good chance I'll find a head without a cable.

PACNWDude

The last fixed wireless cell phone units I worked with, were replaced with digital units around 2006-2007 time frame. Hard to get the FCC to change things though.

As for scanners, you may be able to use an older scanner if you must have that band. These will be older and larger, and no control head option. May even be easier to have a scanner and a radio, newer Uniden with remote head and mobile radio with remote head.

For those that posted the tablet options, thank you....gave me ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.