Great Information - Need a quick start

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYNEWB67

HI, This is a great forum and I will be reading a lot of your detailed advice. My dilemma is this, I see that you have the ramp frequency for terminal 8 at JFK in NY and this is primarily what I want to listen to for study in my career. I see from what you say a digi scanner would probably be best. I am needing/hoping to set this up as early as tomorrow so I was wondering what is fast * cheap * and works for picking up this frew from approx 25 miles away. This is really my main reason for purchasing although there are other aviation freqs I'd like to listen to as well.
Thanks much.

N8IAA

HI, This is a great forum and I will be reading a lot of your detailed advice. My dilemma is this, I see that you have the ramp frequency for terminal 8 at JFK in NY and this is primarily what I want to listen to for study in my career. I see from what you say a digi scanner would probably be best. I am needing/hoping to set this up as early as tomorrow so I was wondering what is fast * cheap * and works for picking up this frew from approx 25 miles away. This is really my main reason for purchasing although there are other aviation freqs I'd like to listen to as well.
Thanks much.

Ramp frequencies are very low power, 5 watts max from the portables, maybe 10 watts from the base. It's also an AM frequency. Not much chance of hearing it from 25 miles, much less a mile.
Larry

N8IAA

For an inexpensive handheld, try the Uniden BC125AT. Works great on VHF air frequencies. Just don't expect miracles:)
Larry

NYNEWB67

oh :( I got all excited when I saw the frequecies listed here. Oh well. I appreciate your quick reply and explanation. Im curious..the parking garage is less than a mile. Im just looking to sample a few hours of peak ramp traffic. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.