Please Advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

jphump

Premium Subscriber
Hello, I purchased an pro 652 for my father and trying to get it programed. I chose this on the advice of the lady at R.S. saying it was just a turn on and listen scanner ( yea right), Now after hours and hours of reading, and manually trying to instal frequencies it looks like I need to do some type of reset and start fresh. I gave up on the manual installing and purchased the cable from R.S. and did the trial on ARC500, well that didn't go well either, I chose what I thought I wanted and selected them, but I haven't been able to find them ,and the trial is over. I have since upgraded to the RR Premium service, and downloaded the Win500 software and seem to like the interface, but when I choose the frequencies he wants, it says <invalid>, It is the Oklahoma, Okmulgee County, Henryetta Police Dispatch, does that mean I cant use it?(this is the main one he would like to have)
Like I said, I just got this thing for my ailing father, now it has taken over my life trying to get it programed. i think part of the problem is that I have no ideal what im doing, the lingo is greek to me, but I have started to enjoy the ideal of getting it going. But Is the any easy way to set up one of these with a dozen or so frequencies without having to invest tons of hours?

Thank you
jphump

RonnieUSA

Hello, I purchased an pro 652 for my father and trying to get it programed. I chose this on the advice of the lady at R.S. saying it was just a turn on and listen scanner ( yea right), Now after hours and hours of reading, and manually trying to instal frequencies it looks like I need to do some type of reset and start fresh. I gave up on the manual installing and purchased the cable from R.S. and did the trial on ARC500, well that didn't go well either, I chose what I thought I wanted and selected them, but I haven't been able to find them ,and the trial is over. I have since upgraded to the RR Premium service, and downloaded the Win500 software and seem to like the interface, but when I choose the frequencies he wants, it says <invalid>, It is the Oklahoma, Okmulgee County, Henryetta Police Dispatch, does that mean I cant use it?(this is the main one he would like to have)
Like I said, I just got this thing for my ailing father, now it has taken over my life trying to get it programed. i think part of the problem is that I have no ideal what im doing, the lingo is greek to me, but I have started to enjoy the ideal of getting it going. But Is the any easy way to set up one of these with a dozen or so frequencies without having to invest tons of hours?

Thank you
jphump

There is not a scanner made yet that can decode DMR, and that looks like what is mostly used in your county.

Okmulgee County, Oklahoma (OK) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Look at the mode, and it will show what's in use.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
If I were you, I would take the radio back asap before you cant, since its shows police, fire and medical are all using DMR. As said above no scanner can decode that format.
My 2 cents, the fact they use that mode clearly the radio shack store must not sell many scanners and really should know that they are all but useless in the county.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
There is not a scanner made yet that can decode DMR, and that looks like what is mostly used in your county.

Okmulgee County, Oklahoma (OK) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Look at the mode, and it will show what's in use.
Interesting usage pattern. Although quite a few of the agencies in the county are flagged as using DMR, many of those frequencies are not licensed for that usage.

Example:
For Okmulgee police and fire, for the frequencies listed, they both show to only be licensed here: WQJB639 (OKMULGEE, CITY OF) FCC Callsign Details
However, if you look at that license, there is no MotoTRBO (DMR) emissions code.

The county shows to have a number of frequencies on WQGR373 (OKMULGEE, CITY OF) FCC Callsign Details
That does show DMR licensing, and for multiple locations in the county, so many of the database entries appear to be incorrect, unless they are using the other frequencies as DMR without being correctly licensed.

jphump

Premium Subscriber
But she said it would work

Lol, it was a good experience anyway, thanks for the info. I will have to start looking in and getting educated in your great forums.

Thanks

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
It is always "buyer beware". But with the internet and RR there is a lot of information that can be reviewed before making purchases. There are a number of posts on here that have ended with the same problem. Hopefully this will cause more people to look and learn before making a big purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.