Bearcat III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryangn

Make sure the scan/manual switch in the middle is up (set to scan), make sure the squelch is open, and the red switches need to be in the up position (down locks out that channel). If it's scanning you will see the red lights cycle through. Of course you need to make sure you have crystals installed and the correct ones. You can find the instruction manual online if you google it. I found it in pdf a long time ago but I don't remember where. It's only the basics but I hope it helps.

parnass

AJ9S
The SCAN/MANUAL switch contacts become oxidized on those old Bearcats. You can spray the exposed contacts using electrical contact cleaner.

If that doesn't work, the problem requires electronics servicing experience to repair.

Sportster883

I have a Electra Bearcat IV which is not much different than the scanner you have. I also had similar issues at first. I had to take it apart and clean the squelch switch and the contacts on the scan/manual switch. I used CRC QD type contact cleaner because it is safe on plastic. I bought a can of air to get dust out of the switches. The switch that makes it scan or select manual that one you need to get in there with q tips soaked in contact cleaner and really get them clean. Then wipe them off with more q tips to get the crud off. When they are nice and clean put a tiny bit of CRC 2-26 lubricant on them do not spray it apply it with a q tip. The squelch switch gently pull it out and give it a shot of canned air and rotate switch back and forth repeat a few times. Get the contact cleaner spray a little inside and rotate switch and repeat with a little more. Take the canned air and blow out the switch and work it back and forth. Now look at the squelch switch I put a tiny drop of oil on the shaft on the front to lube it up. Put everything together and give it a try. You can order some of the parts for it from Nu-Tronics or Kens Electronics. If you have any questions let me know I would be happy to help if I can. Good luck and have fun.

parnass

AJ9S
Sams scanner repair book volume SD-2 contains schematics and troubleshooting information for the Bearcat III.

If you are not skilled in electronics repair but can wire a lamp, there is another alternative.

Attachments

• bc3lamp.jpg
    bc3lamp.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 230

Sportster883

I have seen people gut them out and make am/fm radios out of them but your idea is the best I have ever seen. I wonder if you could do the lamp idea to one that is still working ? I would like to know how you did that to that old scanner.

SpectrumAnalyzer

Previously Banned Member
Banned
Some Things Are Just Too Good To Discard & The Passing Of A Very Decent Man

Sams scanner repair book volume SD-2 contains schematics and troubleshooting information for the Bearcat III.

If you are not skilled in electronics repair but can wire a lamp, there is another alternative.

Bob, you are a sick man, LOL.

BTW: Did you hear about the passing of Jack? I met him at his famous coffee spot at Perkins on Saxon Blvd. in Orange City around 2008, I just moved there & he lived up the street in Deltona, when he saw my Icom IC-A6 he sat me down & completely educated me on it's known virtues, hidden inadequacies, made some less expensive handheld scanner recommendations & we immediately became friends, he & his home (Welcome to all) were subdued but rich in lore & love for the hobby, Jack was a different kind of man, he was special for he always told you the truth as he knew it to be, not just what you wanted to hear, I always felt blessed to be in his presence, I respected his vast knowledge & take on things & for that I knew he was a kind & decent man, Jack my heart hurts knowing you are no longer with us but I rejoice in the knowledge that you are in the arms of GOD.

Status
Not open for further replies.