Which one to buy? 50% off!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeBeCinYa

I stumbled across a Radio Shack that is closing, and they have three models 50% off!

I currently have a pro-106, and love it, but have been wanting something new. I understand the Pro-668 is good for phase 2, which long term may be great, but I like the Uniden too.

Pro 668 for $250
Uniden BCD396XT for $235
Pro 651 for $200

Nasby

I would go for the PRO-651 since you have the PRO-106 and love it. The setup and software, programming cable, etc. is all the same.

It is the same scanner as the PRO-106 only in a base form. Plus, it is one of the best deals you listed (the Uniden 396xt is a good price too).

If you think you will need the PRO-668 for Phase 2 and decide to go that route, you can find a much better deal on Ebay or here in the for sale forums.

Good luck!

Blackswan73

651 is not in base form. It is the same as the 106. The 652 is the base version. It is the the same as the 197. Personally, I like the 668, which is the only one that can decode phase II

WeBeCinYa

I would go for the PRO-651 since you have the PRO-106 and love it. The setup and software, programming cable, etc. is all the same.

It is the same scanner as the PRO-106 only in a base form. Plus, it is one of the best deals you listed (the Uniden 396xt is a good price too).

If you think you will need the PRO-668 for Phase 2 and decide to go that route, you can find a much better deal on Ebay or here in the for sale forums.

Good luck!

Non of these were base models, maybe I had the model numbers wrong? I like the idea of the Pro-668 in case I were to move to a place that is on phase 2 down the road. What kind of better price are you seeing for a brand new 668? I thought $250 sounded great.

Attachments

• RSradio.jpg
    RSradio.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 747

Nasby

651 is not in base form. It is the same as the 106. The 652 is the base version. It is the the same as the 197. Personally, I like the 668, which is the only one that can decode phase II

Ooops..My bad on the 651. I have the 651 and 652 (as well as the PRO-668) and shoulda caught that.

There's a guy selling a brand new PRO-668 and 800mhz antenna in the RR classifieds at a good price if you decide to go that route.

Last edited:

WeBeCinYa

I haven't bought anything yet, the clowns at Radio Shack today said they couldn't sell me any of them for 50% off until tomorrow, and after digging online, I can still get a 668 for less than their 50% off price of $250. They said they might go to 60% off but not sure when. I think I will wait it out and see, as I have decided to definitely go the 668 route.

Nasby

Stay patient and you should be able to land a new 668 for $200 or less.

garysauctions

Premium Subscriber
I haven't bought anything yet, the clowns at Radio Shack today said they couldn't sell me any of them for 50% off until tomorrow, and after digging online, I can still get a 668 for less than their 50% off price of $250. They said they might go to 60% off but not sure when. I think I will wait it out and see, as I have decided to definitely go the 668 route.

Price changes are effective on Wednesday, so yeah on the 12th they could not do the deal.

Not sure about the Virginia region pricing but ask them if they are a Phase F or Phase G store.

Phase F stores are closing sooner and their next price drop will be next Wednesday.

Phase G stores are hanging in long and their next drop may not be for 2 weeks,

Considering they went to 50% yesterday, my guess is they are Phase G.

Good luck ...... if they have enough stock you might be able to snag one for $150.00 ( if you can wait that long. )

Here in the Baltimore, Maryland area they flew off the shelves when they hit $150.00.

garysauctions

Premium Subscriber
Stay patient and you should be able to land a new 668 for $200 or less.

I believe the Phase F stores should be at $200 right now as they are 10% ahead of Phase G stores.

I might add that none of the Phase F stores have them here ..... save for one .... but it has no butter box.

They put the empty box with a weight in it on display and someone stole the empty box.

WeBeCinYa

Thanks for the info. Since finding this initial closing store, I have found a couple others as well. All seem to be phase G at this point. IF I can score these 668's for 150 or possibly less with some luck, I'm going to buy all they have and help out anyone on here with good price that may want one while they last. No interest in making money hustling scanners like some seem to do. I'll keep this thread posted.

garysauctions

Premium Subscriber
Inspect them carefully before you buy them.

For the most part they are all good stock, however I have seen some that showed evidence of having been sold, returned for whatever reason and repacked to be resold.'

This guy bought one " dirt cheap ". He finally got it worked out, but the aggravation getting there .... ugh.

http://forums.radioreference.com/radio-shack-scanners/313301-pro-668-a.html

The scanner now is totally dead. I tried to uninstall it and reinstall it in hopes it would display PRO-668 instead of WS1080 and at first it seemed to be working as the PC displayed PRO-668 installation but it quit halfway through the installation and the scanner displays "Error code 3-01 consult your users code for more information". There is nothing in the users guide about error codes, so for the time being I am at a dead end.

WeBeCinYa

Inspect them carefully before you buy them.

For the most part they are all good stock, however I have seen some that showed evidence of having been sold, returned for whatever reason and repacked to be resold.'

This guy bought one " dirt cheap ". He finally got it worked out, but the aggravation getting there .... ugh.

http://forums.radioreference.com/radio-shack-scanners/313301-pro-668-a.html

This guy bought his used after someone screwed around with the software. I'll be sure to check any scanner I purchase.

garysauctions

Premium Subscriber
This guy bought his used after someone screwed around with the software. I'll be sure to check any scanner I purchase.

Keep in mind at this point, you are not buying from Radio Shack but instead are purchasing from the liquidation company. In this particular case it is HILCO.

I have seen plenty of these scanners, and only 2 that seemed to have been repacked.

The personnel in those stores assured me they were only 'display units' .... but because they could have been sold, messed around with and returned I passed on those two.

The manager called me back and offered them to me at a deal I almost could not refuse .... but I passed anyway,

Status
Not open for further replies.