Newbie Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nitrometer

Premium Subscriber
I am so new I've never been to any website like this until tonight after reporting a crime incident and getting curious if I could find anything on it. Anyway, I notice you can search amateur radio operators by last name, and after selecting one it show their address. Why would anyone want their address publicly available like that? I realize there's scarce privacy left in the world, but why advertise one's location?

Thanks in advance...

Blackswan73

It is public information anyone can access on the government's FCC website. Any FCC license holder must provide an address where the principal control operations for a station are performed

Blackswan73

You are correct, you can use a PO box, but the majority don't. I was wrong about the control operations, it just has to be a mailing address
Thanks, W8RMH

teufler

well here in RR, it is nice to list your location because when an operator requests help or reporting a frequency or find, and your address, city and state is not listed, its a lost cause it helping. So Nitrometer, it can be helpful when you have a city and state listed for your location. As for FCC stuff, most hams in your community know where you are at without your address, so privacy has not been a problem.

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
This is incorrect. Many HAMs like my self use a PO Box. The FCC only requires an address where the licensee can receive notifications/correspondence from the commission.

I use a P.O. box as well. The reason I did that was because I want to get vanity license plates with my call sign on it.

I haven't done this yet, but I like the idea in general now of using the PO box anyway, for privacy reasons already stated by others in previous posts.

One thing that occurred to me is that the DMV may not allow the vanity plates if my FCC address doesn't match my drivers license!

Only one way to find out I reckon.

Status
Not open for further replies.