New scanner user needs hand holding

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephkwiat

Hello,
I am typing this for a friend who has limited access to the computer and is not very computer-literate. He purchased a Uniden BCD396XT digital scanner from Radio Shack. They assured him it would be easy to operate. Several weeks later, he and I have been up in arms trying to figure this scanner out. We have zero knowledge and need help.

Is anyone available to meet us for coffee and show us the basics (and how to program) this scanner? We are in the North Greece area but can travel anywhere. We will buy you dinner!! We need help please.
Thank you in advance
Stephanie and Steve.

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
Hi, Are you speaking of Greece New York- near Rochester? If so, try posting your request on the New York page located further down the page. Also in your profile post where you are from, this will help others help you. In the wiki pages of this site there are links to various help pages for the 396XT. You may also want to download a trial subscription to one of the programming software suites such as ARC 396 or Freescan which like the name implies is free. They will help simplify programming and get you up and running sooner than trying to learn to program by hand.

There is also a document called Mark's Scanners that has an easier to read 396XT manual on it. It is worth taking the time to look through.

Good luck and welcome to site and the hobby

fleef

Kristin Cavazos Phoenix Arizona
The person says the user is NOT computer literate- Im sorry I am not anywhere near your area- like trap5858 said, would be an idea to post request in: New York Radio Discussion Forum - The RadioReference.com Forums that is forum for your state

also depending on what he/she/them wants to hear- fire? police? the security guards at mall? bus system? here is the link with frequency databases Rochester Metro Area Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

that is for Rochester NY - which includes Greece- here is the link for Municipalities
Monroe County, New York (NY) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

in that I see a listing for :469.5500 Sp Pol Unit Greece Special Police Unit P25

that is the frequency "469.5500" for Greece Special Police unit. "P25" is the type of "encryption" your scanner can get P25- if you guys cant figure out how to connect scanner to computer (you'd need a special connector for that) then you can actually manually enter all the frequencies- that is what I did- all by hand- not complicated do not be discouraged! Here is link to "Easier To Read Scanner Manual"
for your type of scanner
Easier to Read BCD396XT Digital Scanner Manual

it is not difficult to manually program- I did mine without knowing all the tips n tricks and what all the words meant in scanner talk- i just wanted to get it working so I could hear the police dispatch calls first- you will not break your scanner by pushing buttons or entering wrong numbers- anything u enter wrong can be deleted and/or the scanner set back to defaults//

dont let all the terminology scare you guys away- once u get those frequencies etc entered it is loads of fun/ I listen to mine in background almost daily//

anyway good luck people will be happy to assist//

Voyager

The ideal scanner for your friend is a HP-1 or HP-2. Just enter the zip code and that's it.

If you/he are not PC literate, get a database update done prior to shipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.