What I'm I doing wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smx

Hello, I'm am new so please bear with me. I just brought a Baofeng uv-82 and I have the chirp software install would like to use as a scanner. The radio and the software communications is good. The problem I seem to be having no matter what frequencies I programm into the radio I hear nothing. I have tried Many frequencies even outside my city with no luck. Funny enought if I programm the weather frequencies 162.400 it works, I can hear that loud and clear. Everything on the radio is as default. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong....I have been at it for 2 days with no luck

Thanks Wayne

n4yek

For starters, it would be good to know your location. Depending on your location, we can tell you if everything around you is digital communications or not.
If it is, your radio will not work.

prerunner1982

I don't know about the UV-82 but the UV-5R made for a poor scanner. It worked, but was awfully slow. As Danny said Location would be good, but if you are in a metro area they likely went digital/trunking. Rural departments in your area may likely still be analog though.

SCPD

QRT
Slightly off topic

... I just brought a Baofeng uv-82 and I have the chirp software install would like to use as a scanner...

Thanks Wayne

I apologize this does not directly answer your query, but what is the chirp software? First time I've seen this term here on RR. Thanks.

Smx

I'm am in Gwinnett GA. I know that they have changed their system but I have tried surrounding areas also with no luck.

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
Ladn,

He clearly stated he listened to 162.400, NOAA wx radio.

Smx, you may have already replied but your first few posts are moderated so give it some time to work its way through. Not much else can be said until your reply is posted though.

Smx

I thinking that I may just have something setup wrong , like ctss or offset maybe?

Smx

Ok so I've tried 4 frequency on scan and one out of the four 462.37500 is transmitting, the screen lights up blue the antenna symbol comes up but I hear no audio if I press the M on the side all I hear is static. I know it's trying to receive, if I keep my hand down on the M I can hear the difference in static when its receiving to when it's not.

N8IAA

Ok so I've tried 4 frequency on scan and one out of the four 462.37500 is transmitting, the screen lights up blue the antenna symbol comes up but I hear no audio if I press the M on the side all I hear is static. I know it's trying to receive, if I keep my hand down on the M I can hear the difference in static when its receiving to when it's not.

So, how close to Chateau Elan are you? You're expecting miracles from the antenna that comes with the radio. You're better off listening to the air frequencies for Hall and Gwinnett. Look up the train frequencies. Then get a better antenna.
Larry

Smx

So, how close to Chateau Elan are you? You're expecting miracles from the antenna that comes with the radio. You're better off listening to the air frequencies for Hall and Gwinnett. Look up the train frequencies. Then get a better antenna.
Larry

I'm am about 20-30 away from Chateau Élan. I have also programmed Mall of Georiga and a few other mall security frequencys that are in within 20-30 min from me. My goal at this point is just to find out that the radio is set up correctly to receive. After that I can go through the data base and find something that the radio can receive with no problem. As of right now the Chateau Élan channel will light the radio up when it's receiving a signal but I hear no audio

rapidcharger

There really isn't anything left to listen to in Gwinnett.
The county isn't on a channelized radio plan any more. they are using a trunking system and every single talk group is encrypted and unmonitorable. Even the fire department. Heck, even the water dept.
http://forums.radioreference.com/georgia-radio-discussion-forum/310821-gwinnett-county-fire.html

The Mog is using dMR and the baofenug won't decide that.

There was a really active frequency to listen to on the ham band on 146.4 , probably one of the most active in the entire state, lots of talk day and night and was connected into the RAVWIN ham trunking system over in Cobb which has tons of unconventional jibber jabber but unfortunately it migrated to UHF and went digital too so the Baofeng will be useless for that too. The owner keeps talking about an analog simulcast or mixed mode but I wouldn't hold my breath, you can die of old age waiting for that. I think he got tired of his neighborhood listening to him talk about them!

About the only thing I can think of left is the school buses which is analog trunking at least for now but that could change soon.
Oh yeah and most public schools in the county have their own repeater which you can usually hear within several miles of the school. Both are obviously seasonal and right now not in season

Last edited:

ScanInyo

Feed Provider
Remove any CTCSS or DCS tones set for the receive side in the software. That should fix your problem of not hearing the signal unless you press the monitor button.

Status
Not open for further replies.