Police scanner for eastern Ohio

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdenfuny

Premium Subscriber
I would like a scanner that can monitor police, fire, and EMS. I live in eastern Ohio. From what I understand Ohio is going to something called MARCS-IP soon (or maybe they are already on this? https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=6643). I understand that this is digital, but I can't quite figure out what scanners will work. I have looked at the Whistler WS1010 (I asked about this one in another post), but after during some more research today, I don't think this one would work. I think the WS1080 would work, but I am not sure. The WS 1040 is cheaper, but I don't think that one would work.

(1) Is there a list of common handheld scanners that will pick up the Ohio traffic even after everything is moved to this new system?

(2) Would a handheld Ham radio work for this? (which models?)

I am a complete newbie at radio, but I have wanted to get into this because I would like to be able to monitor police radios in an emergency. I am currently studying for the Technician Ham exam and I hope to pass this exam over the summer.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
MARCS-IP will eventually go to Phase II digital. I recommend a Phase II capable scanner such as the:

Uniden HomePatrol-2, BCD436HP, BCD536HP.BCD996P2, or the BCD325P2.

The first three have the entire RadioReference database on a SD card and are easier to program for your area.

There are also some digital models that will not decode Phase II but I would hate to see you spend hundreds of dollars on a radio that may not work in a few years.

There are no amateur radios that will monitor P25 Digital.

Last edited:

Nasby

Before you buy anything, check in the database (or ask in the Ohio forums) regarding the county and agencies you want to hear.

There are many law enforcement agencies in eastern Ohio that are encrypted, meaning that no scanner on the market will receive them.

tdenfuny

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the replies. I hope a moderator will approve this message before long.

(1) I am interested in Mahoning County. How can I see what is and isn't encrypted here?

(2) @W8RMH. Do the Whistler WS1040 or WS1080 work with this Phase 2?

phask

Premium Subscriber
This links to the county's data in RR.

Mahoning County, Ohio (OH) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Look through there and determine what you will be listening to.

It does not look like they are using MARCS or IP - no idea on future usage.

For a new user I'd recommend something like a Uniden HomePatrol 1 or 2. As far as Marcs-ip ever using PH 2 that is a few years or maybe a lot of years in the future. It's not a bad idea to have a PH2 scanner ( I have 2) as you never know who may update and when.

I have no idea on Whistler, everything I currently use is Uniden. With whatever you use - programing will be the learning curve.

budevans

Thanks for the replies. I hope a moderator will approve this message before long.

(1) I am interested in Mahoning County. How can I see what is and isn't encrypted here?

(2) @W8RMH. Do the Whistler WS1040 or WS1080 work with this Phase 2?

The WS1080 does both Phase 1 and Phase 2 (also the Radio Shack Pro-668, which is the Radio Shack Branded version of the WS1080. It is on sale at some Radio Shacks for $250). The WS1040 is Phase 1 only.

Nasby

You will be good to go for scanning in Mahoning County.

Everything there is in the clear except Boardman PD (they sometimes use encryption).

Now you just need to choose a scanner. LOL

tdenfuny

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I still want to do more research about this. (Are you from around there?)

Status
Not open for further replies.