charlesdmartin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just purchased a new BCD 396 at half price at a radio shack store that's closing. Since I have no PC and using a Mac, I will be programing this scanner manually I need help on this procedure. For Motorola 1 and 2 and P25 systems and conventional . Is the system the state, city, and county? Government agency, military service, and company? The site is the police, fire, public works, or the nave of a government location, such as Fort Myer, Washington, DC, or Norfolk Naval base? The group is the channel number, description and TIG ? Thanks for your reply.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
The 396 is a good little scanner. Programming it by hand is possible, but is so time consuming and prone to errors that most folks in your situation find a way to do it with software instead. This might be using a PC emulation program on your Mac, it might be to beg, borrow or steal a friend's PC laptop, or I've also heard that inexpensive PC netbooks can run programming software. Once you've got a PC platform to work on, download the program called Freescan and install it, set up an account at Radioreference, and you'll be ready to go. The questions you've asked along with many others you'll think of in the days ahead are all answered here:

Easier to Read BCD396XT Digital Scanner Manual

Spend some time on that page as there is a fair learning curve with this stuff and that page is your best starting point.

Cheers and Good luck!

parnass

AJ9S
Just purchased a new BCD 396 at half price at a radio shack store that's closing. Since I have no PC and using a Mac, I will be programing this scanner manually I need help on this procedure. ....

If you wish to configure your BCD396XT using software, search the web for bcprogtool software. It runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux boxes. I am running it on Linux to program and control a BCT15X and a modified version of the software to configure a BCD996P2.

Status
Not open for further replies.