Newbie with Sony AIR-8, having trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pj234

Hello,

I've never owned a scanner before, but always sort of thought they were interesting. Anyway, I finally picked up the above mentioned radio at a thrift shop and I'm having problems. It was missing the antenna, but it turned on and received am and fm ok. Found a rubber antenna for it, and I get nothing but static on Air band. Same on PSB.

I'm trying some civil and commercial frequencies I found online, but again I get nothing but static. Do I need to be by an airport to be hearing something? Is the chatter on these bands infrequent and I need to wait minutes (rather than seconds) to hear something? Or should there be all kinds of action on these frequencies and this indicates the radio isn't working? I really don't know what to expect and what might be the best frequency to test whether or not it's actually working.

Thanks in advance for any help!

kc2kth

Depending on your location air comms can be infrequent or constant. However to check something on that radio not AM or FM broadcast you could try the weather frequencies, 162.400 - 162.550 MHz. Those operate 7x24. There is typically one available almost everywhere, sometimes two or three again depending on location.

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
Just as KC2KTH posted,

location is important. What town, city do you live in or close to? Do they have an airport? If so, large or small?
Also check the weather frequencies that he posted. That will tell you real quick if you can receive or not, (depending if you have a NOAA station within about 50 miles or so).

Pj234

Thanks for the tips, I will try the weather frequencies and report back.

I'm in the Phoenix metro area, maybe 20 miles from Sky Harbour and maybe 5-10 miles from a couple of small regional airports. Williams Field is also in the area, so I would think plenty of radio chatter.

Pj234

Ok, I got weather on two frequencies, but this is on PSB not AIR...does that matter.

I also heard one lonely voice briefly on 122.850.

Back when I used to fly commercial a lot, and you could listen in on cockpit communications, I recall there being pretty constant chatter on the radio which is what I was expecting to hear with this. Are those frequencies not available on a scanner, or am I too far away from the airport, or is something obviously wrong with my radio?

Thanks again.

N8IAA

Ok, I got weather on two frequencies, but this is on PSB not AIR...does that matter.

I also heard one lonely voice briefly on 122.850.

Back when I used to fly commercial a lot, and you could listen in on cockpit communications, I recall there being pretty constant chatter on the radio which is what I was expecting to hear with this. Are those frequencies not available on a scanner, or am I too far away from the airport, or is something obviously wrong with my radio?

Thanks again.
Have you checked in the RR database for your area? Look under airports and check the frequencies for air-to-air, approach/departure, etc..
And get yourself a better antenna! Rubber ducks are only good for in close reception.
Larry

SpectrumAnalyzer

Previously Banned Member
Banned
Sony Air-8

Your radio is probably one of the first generation wideband scanner/receivers made circa 1984/1996.

AIR-8 Radio Sony; Tokyo, build 1984–1996, 8 pictures,

Check here AirNav for the frequencies for the nearest airports known to you, if at home enter the respective airports arrival & departure frequencies & if nothing is heard after an hour or so (Daytime hours) then enter the airport ATIS frequencies which are continuous but fairly low powered and get as close to the airport as possible, if nothing then it would be safe to say the airband aspect of your radio has a problem, if your radio is deemed unrepairable due to lack of parts or not cost effective, there are plenty of affordable handheld & tabletop scanners with much more features, available channels & flexibility, good luck & let us know how things work out.

Pj234

Thanks, I'll look up those specific freqs and try them out.

There's a switch for MW in the battery compartment...what should this be set to? I found a a manual online for the Air-7, but wasn't clear on what the switch does or where it should be set.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.