Looking for a good pre-programmed scanner for basic listening

Status
Not open for further replies.

coachmenguy

Im looking for opinions on a good pre-programmed scanner to listen to while im working in the barn. It would be used mostly as a base unit. Its been years since I've been into scanning and I really don't have the time or patience to program a scanner, so plug n play would be best. Also the barn has all metal sides so would I need a outdoor base antenna or would the one on the radio be fine?

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
What systems do you want to listen to? There are preprogrammed scanners available, but the one that is the best for you depends on what you want to listen to.

With regard to the antenna, yes, you'd want an outdoor one.

teufler

probably not, the metal sides would sheild you..You ccan try, mounted near an open door, you might get local stations. But a base antenna, $39 and up, will be satisfactory. Most of the scanners either come with or you can get a cable that connects the radio to a computer that ties to the internet. There are perople that will help you. Most of your county, has goine to a digital trunking syste. County radios not on the trunking, are basically schools and school buses. Not a hot bed of activity. The immediate area, you can get by with a p25 type 1 scanner. Since type 2 models are coming out, some good buys on type 1 are available. Programming, is not hard, some "pains" are gettingf the cable recognized by the computer but once thats done, data flows pretty good. There is a HP2 by Uniden, there latest and greatest. The scanner allows yoiu to plug into the internet as desired, you download data, then after download, you just enter you zip code and the scanner sets itself up. Very simple though the price is about $500, possible alittle less. A scanner that you can buy preprogrammed will in a couple of months need to be updated so you woulfd be sending it off .

coachmenguy

Good info! id say im pretty much just looking for public safety bands, police, fire, etc, What would be the difference between type 1 and 2 scanners? With a good outdoor antenna mounted up high could I expect a 30-40 mile range?? I like the price of the HP-1, just not sure if I want to fork out $500 for the newer HP-2. As far as antennas I've been researching a discone antenna or the antennacraft ST-2 model. Theres lots of decisions here haha,

teufler

Prfetty much everything you will listen too is on the MSPSC radio system. Shiawassee cty broadcasts on that , which is p25 type 1. There is some county stuff on analog but its mainly the school and school buses. The st-2 would be fine. Some scanner antennas are more robust. The heavier duty ones handle cold weather, ice and snopw buildup and wind. Some discones range from $49.00 to $195.00 The lighter duty ones , you nay go out in the weather and pick up pieces that fall off.
Scanner Antennas
This has details on many scanner antennas. Type 1 and type 2, type 2 is a newer standard tough if yourt area is only type 1, a type 2 scanner is over kill. The HP-2 , there have been reports that it handles multi path system better. Meaning the digital signals are not as shakey or sounmd like they are under water. Analog sounds better but digital seems to the the way of the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.