The right scanner for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMID303

Hi everybody. I hardly ever post on here, but I'm currently looking for a new (or used) handheld scanner. My current model is a Radio Shack Pro-135. It's been a good scanner, but just a year after I bought it the local police went to digital. That was over 4 years ago I think. Also within the last year or so the scanner cuts out every few seconds when its picking up a transmission, which can cause me to miss key words I need to know like mileposts, and train IDs. Anyways, I'm looking for a decent digital scanner to pick up my local police [Franklin County Pa (Chambersburg, Waynesboro, Greencastle)], as well as railroad frequencies and maybe even Life Lion Medevac, PSP & MD Trooper helicopters. After I couldn't listen to the police anymore, I began to use it as a railroad only scanner. I know eventually the railroads are going to digital as well. I just want something that will be a good investment in the long run, and pick up both digital and analog. Decent reception, ease of use etc. Will most likely buy off ebay for the best price, unless my worthless radio shack actually has one in stock. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
R

retiredmich

I just went on ebay & put in a bid on a used RS PRO 106 for $99.00 . Any Digital Radio will do you just fine. But if you go on ebay & bid , JUST be careful on your bid & look at the radio they are selling REAL
close & read what comes with it, then if it suits your needs , bid on it. Good luck & Happy scanning.

dmg1969

As far as the radio cutting out...it sounds like you might have the priority channel or weather priority feature active. Check that. Yes, more and more counties are going to digital.

77Impala

I recommend going with any scanner that is P2 capable. Since many of the departments are already using P25 Phase 1 it may not be long before some start going to Phase 2. Only downside is if they go encrypted, then nothing will work on decoding their transmissions.

If you like listening to ham radio you could then use the current one for ham and even air traffic as well.

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
I did a quick check of your county in the database. This system: Franklin County Trunking System, Various, Pennsylvania - Scanner Frequencies appears to be your county digital trunked system. If you'll notice all the "E's" next to the law enforcement talkgroups, those are encrypted and cannot be monitored. Additionally, PSP appears to be on a system that can't be monitored at this time, too. The database info says they're migrating to a p25 phase 2 system over the next 5 years. Finally, it looks like Md is in the process of migrating over to a p25 phase2 system.

So, I guess you have to decide if you want to invest the $$$ on a p25 phase 2 capable scanner now or later. I'd probably go for an older, cheaper p25 phase1 scanner for the time being. That should get a lot of what you can monitor and it gives manufacturers time to improve on the phase 2 capable scanners.

Also, might suggest checking in on the regional Pa. section, or ask one of the moderators to move this thread to the Pa section. There may be some more area specific information that's not in the database.

Jeff.

Last edited:

MMID303

I found a good deal on the pro668. I can still hear some of the local PD through Franklin County Dispatch, so that's a plus. So far the scanner has been working well. Nearly static free transmissions, and always 4-5 bars for the signal strength. Does fairly well on railroad 160-161mhz. Today on my lunch break I was able to hear the LifeNet medevac coming in to the hospital helipad, and 3 minutes later, there it was coming over the tree line!

SCPD

QRT
Looking For A Decent Handheld That Is Digital

MMID303--Hello and good morning to you. Please pm me and I will help you make the right buying decision . I would go with a Uniden Bearcat for sure! Better quality and less RF problems then the R/S models.

Bob(Yonkers, NY)

Uniden BCT-15X
Hustler Magnetic Mount Antenna Mounted Outside
Volunteer Firefighter
FEMA Certificate

Status
Not open for further replies.