best repeater station for car

Status
Not open for further replies.

justinm001

If i wanted a mobile repeater station for GMRS or another channel, what options do i have? This is for when using ATV's at different trails and wanting to communicate with other riders at long distances. We'll be up to 30 miles away from the base (car/campground) and the ATV's might be a couple miles apart. We're testing our system using Baofeng bf-f8hp and understand its not approved for GMRS but looking for options before spending a lot on equipment. We're riding ATV's with 12V power systems and could have a power antenna mounted on them if needed, but they have little space on them as it is.

ecps92

Generally a Repeater would be Mounted atop a Bldg or large Hill (Mountain)

If you can't communicate ATV to ATV, having a Repeater on the ATV is not going to increase anything

How about look at a Battery with Solar Charge and run the Repeater from your Camp with raising the Repeater Antenna up in a Tree, cumbersome but might do what you need

If i wanted a mobile repeater station for GMRS or another channel, what options do i have? This is for when using ATV's at different trails and wanting to communicate with other riders at long distances. We'll be up to 30 miles away from the base (car/campground) and the ATV's might be a couple miles apart. We're testing our system using Baofeng bf-f8hp and understand its not approved for GMRS but looking for options before spending a lot on equipment. We're riding ATV's with 12V power systems and could have a power antenna mounted on them if needed, but they have little space on them as it is.

rapidcharger

looking for options before spending a lot on equipment.

A repeater involves spending a lot of money.
A lot.

And the coverage depends on many factors but the most important is a clear line of sight. Unlikely that you have a very good line of sight if you are in an area of rugged terrain. 30 miles of portable coverage is probably not in the cards as there will most likely be a lot of obstructions in the way.

Blackswan73

In the Army, we used mobile relay units. What these were, was a jeep with two radios and two antennas. We would receive transmissions with one radio, and feed the audio to a second radio that transmitted the messages on a different freq. These were great targets for Charlie!

SCPD

QRT
And now an answer

I've never done it, but I see people on here talk about Rick Cables. I've seen it at a ham swap done with a couple of GM300 radios and a controller. If you query "rick repeater cables" on Ebay, you will see what I'm talking about. The cables are under $40. The controller, HLN3333, looks to be $125. And a couple of GM300 radios off Ebay are ranging from $50 to 100 each. So in the ballpark of $250-350, you've got a little repeater you can put in your trunk. Someone from our local RACES has this set up mounted in a plastic milk crate. Grab and Go. Do another query here on RR asking people who have used Rick cables about implementation, I can't help you with the nuts and bolts of getting it going.

Last edited:

krokus

Premium Subscriber
How about look at a Battery with Solar Charge and run the Repeater from your Camp with raising the Repeater Antenna up in a Tree, cumbersome but might do what you need

+1 on this concept.

A high central location, or other location with line of sight to the areas of concern. You could use a vehicle as the platform for the antenna and radio, accounting for ventilation.

Sent via Tapatalk

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
The R.I.C.K. is a Motorola device that can connect two specific models of Motorola radios together to form a repeater. The device is made of discrete components and is not easy to set up even when using Motorola radios. There are many jumpers and adjustments for audio levels and operation. The cables for each specific radio make it easier to make connections but it still is a bit difficult. The biggest disadvantage is the radios are not rated for continuous duty and the PA destroys itself pretty quick. And as everyone has said a repeater in a trunk is not different than another mobile so two mobiles 30 miles apart is going to be pretty near impossible.
BB

justinm001

There's multiple trailheads throughout the area. If we setup came somewhere towards the middle and on high ground with a couple large and powerful antennas, it definitely could help. If i keep everything in the truck, power wouldn't be an issue.

The area is basically a bunch of mountains that we ride around and through so even if we don't have constant communication, we should be able to sometimes.

I read even the cheap baofengs have a repeater cable and could be used. http://forums.radioreference.com/bu...954-set-up-baofeng-uv-5r-repeater-system.html

Since its federal land, i don't think they'll take to kindly to putting up a repeater using solar and battery. but it is 240,000 acres so im not sure if they would ever find it.

Couldn't i put something like a couple j-pole antennas or even vhttp://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/comet-ca-712efc-1085.html

and grab a few 10ft pieces of PVC pipe with the antennas sticking out of the sunroof and call it a day?

rapidcharger

Couldn't i put something like a couple j-pole antennas or even vhttp://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/comet-ca-712efc-1085.html

and grab a few 10ft pieces of PVC pipe with the antennas sticking out of the sunroof and call it a day?

You certainly could but as to whether it will meet your communications needs is anybody's guess. There are way too many unknowns to even begin to guess.

These are all things you will really enjoy experimenting with once you get your ham license.

Classically, we see agencies do a "mobile repeater" or MO3, which is usually cross-band or is intended to take a low power portable channel and come out on whatever channel the mobile's high power output is set to. Sounds like you want a "temporary repeater" or what might be seen as an FB2T if it weren't on GMRS.

Can it be done? Yes. You would need something that has low power consumption and would have a built-in duplexer. You would also need a good antenna - something like a 5 dBd antenna on a push-up mast would work pretty well. One on the car? Maybe not so much. J-poles? I suppose other folks have had luck with them, but I haven't. YMMV.

And, like the other commenters have said, this isn't going to be cheap.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Since its federal land, i don't think they'll take to kindly to putting up a repeater using solar and battery. but it is 240,000 acres so im not sure if they would ever find it.

Likely, if they found it. Better option would be to use an existing amateur radio repeater. Chances are one (or more) already cover your area and they won't cost you a dime. Get yourself an amateur radio license and you'll have access to repeaters all over the country.

There is more to it than that. Just hooking two radios together like this is going to result in dismal coverage. You need to have a lot of antenna separation between the TX and RX antennas or the receiver will be desensed to the point that the system will be useless.
You can address this with a dupexer and one antenna, but it won't be cheap or easy.

Much easier to just get your amateur radio license and go that route. GMRS might be a useable option IF there is a repeater in the area that you have permission to use.

PACNWDude

902 had it right, many people use mobile repeaters to extend the range of the 5 watt handheld they are carrying.
Many police and fire vehicles use Pyramid or Vertex units. I have used the Vertex VXR-1000. Also have used the RA-1 and RA-0 cables sold online. Just do a search, seller is MRE1032.
Work well for low power and short range. This will not work as well as a tower at 10,000 feet with 100 watt plus transmitter and duplexer and all, but will extend the range of handhelds.
I'm not responsible or going to discuss legalities though, get a lawyer for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.