Signal Type Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracker44

Hello, I am useing a Radio Shack Pro 651 scanner with ARC500 software.
Under the signal Type Col. you see (BM-M-RM) . Alot of all 3.
Not sure what they mean ???? Are they really necessary to recieve the signal thay are assigned to ????

Under the SQ Mode Col. do you use the CTCSS to go with any PL Tone that may be assigned to any Frequencies ???? Thats the only thing i see on the drop down that may be used with a PL Tone ????

I am going back and adding these to alot of my already entered Frequencies that either have a blank square or maybe the word (None) , but they actually do have a tone . Not real sure if all this is necessary to receive a signal or not but I dont believe it can hurt.
TNX----Tracker44

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
"BM" indicates "Base / Mobile", communications between the base and the mobile units on the same frequency. Mobile units will only hear each other if nearby. Also known as Simplex.

"M" indicates "Mobile" only, communications between mobile units, such as car-to-car, low power handhelds, etc.

"RM" indicates "Repeater / Mobile", communications between base and mobile units where the mobile unit transmits to the base on one frequency and the base re-transmits (repeats) the mobile transmission and the base transmission on another. Repeaters are usually on tall towers, buildings, mountains, etc. This extends range and allows all mobile units to hear each other. Also known as Duplex.

I am not familiar with that software but I believe the above entries would be for informational purposes and not affect the scanner itself.

CTCSS are sub-audible tones which allow numerous users to use the same frequency so they only hear their own transmissions without interfering with each other. They are only needed in a scanner to eliminate interference or if their are two or more users using the same frequency and using different tones. Without the PL tones you will still receive everything, however if there are more than two users and you only want to hear one enter their tone. You can also enter the frequency twice and add the appropriate tone two each one.

PL is the analog CTCSS while DCS is a digital CTCSS.

Last edited:

Tracker44

TNX W8RMH , I never had really ran across any thing that described what it ment .
I did have some what of a understanding on the CTCSS. Well , I may just let some of what I all ready have programed in the scanner just stay that way until I hear something that may need some attention.
TNX again W8RMH and take care ------Have a great 4th of July--------Tracker44

Status
Not open for further replies.