Getting back into Scanning again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronson24

Premium Subscriber
Hi, I use to own the GRE PSR-800 I sold it and thought I wouldn't get back into scanning again. Well I am wanting to. Can someone point me in the right direction on which model and brand new scanner i should go with? Im located in Frostproof,FL I like listening to the police and Areo med. I dont know weather I should go back with the PSR-800 or another one. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Bronson24

Premium Subscriber
I will also be using this while traveling up to north Florida,GA and AL..I drive a semi for a living.

R

retiredmich

OK , then I would suggest to get a digital scanner, being every thing now a day's is gone to Digital, & you can program a lot of different departments in it for different state's being you are a truck driver & travel all over. Mind you though, a new scanner will cost you $$$, but if you go on ebay you can bid on a good used digital scanner or even a new one. Just trying to help, Happy Scanning

Bronson24

Premium Subscriber
No problem. Thats what I need just trying to figure out which brand and model would best suit me. should I go back with the PSR-800?

rhoggman

I was thinking about getting it. Never owned a scanner before. Supposedly when a GPS is attached it programs itself. I looked up all of my local info here, and this scanner pretty much does it all.

Uniden BCD436HP HomePatrol Series Digital Handheld Scanner

R

retiredmich

Yes Sir, any digital will do, which ever one you are comfortable with.

R

retiredmich

I my self like the RS PRO 106, course I program all my scanners manually , you can get the soft ware to program scanner's. But any digital will work.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The 396 is a little "long in the tooth" as it won't decode P25 Phase II systems, so I'd rule that out.

Just like with most other things, when a person is comfortable with a brand, they tend to stick with that brand. That said, me being a Uniden guy, I'd go with the 436.

The 436 is really flexible for a person who is on the road frequently. One can easily update the full database of frequencies (etc), which helps to keep the scanner current.

Also there are a couple of options. One is zipcode selection. That's where you enter the zipcode of the area you are in and the scanner will load the frequencies (etc) appropriate to that area.

An even better option is to get a GPS device and connect it to the scanner. The GPS device tells the scanner where it is and the scanner automatically turns on the frequencies (etc) appropriate for that area.

fasteddy64

I would take a good look at the Home Patrol from Uniden, especially if you will be using it on the road.
Using mine while travelling with the GPS is really sweet.

Nasby

Do yourself a big favor and read the reviews on the BCD436HP model in the Uniden forums before you decide.

Last edited:

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
If your area does NOT have P25 Phase II then I recommend the Uniden 396XT. It's an excellent scanner!

mitbr

If your area does NOT have P25 Phase II then I recommend the Uniden 396XT. It's an excellent scanner!

I live in Pinellas county FL get a phase 2 p25 scanner. I recommend the 436hp but any p25 phase 2 radio will suffice.
Although Polk county is presently phase 1 there are counties around yours that are phase 2 and allot of systems are switching phase 2 in FL.
Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.