Local frequencies needed for my BC125AT

Status
Not open for further replies.

WBOZ_FM

Hey everyone; I am a newbie to the scanner world. I started getting interested in scanners when we lost power for three days and having no contact with what is going on and you are twenty five miles from the nearest town is not a good feeling.

I am already in a very isolated area in Charles County MD, Newburg 20664 area off the Potomac river, so I am sure I can get areas across the river in Dahlgren VA area as my radio has a twenty mile radius. Based on what others have said on the internet about a good handheld radio, I choose the BC125AT and I have the Scanner Master program. At first I had a difficult time getting the downloads because, I needed the drivers for my computer. I have everything in my system now and am ready to start. I love the fact that with the BC125AT you can tune into Marine, Aircraft, Railroad and the many frequencies of EMS etc.

Can anyone help me with getting my scanner programed & running at full capacity so I can get used to all the options my radio has. I have a background with mechanical and electrical trouble shooting, being a retired elevator mechanic of many years. I went to computer college & graduated in the top five of my class in computer repair, and stayed in the elevator business, but that was when the digital age really started to take off in 1991, no cell phones, just beepers, so you can see that I am behind in the modern technologies but I am a quick learner if someone can give me some advice on getting my radio tuned properly to all the channels available in my area.

I would really appreciate any help because I need to catch up. Many Thanks to all.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Hi WBOZ and welcome...before we get started, it's important to know what it is you want to hear? The 125 is not a trunking scanner, so it won't hear the Charles county system (where most of your local action seems to be). However you're not without resources.

First off, never believe this '20 mile range' malarkey. It's pure marketing boo-hah. Without getting heavily into the physics, this 'range' is dependent on many factors; one of the most important is the antenna. The little antenna that comes with the radio - we call them 'duckies' - is very much a compromise. That so-called 'range' would be cut down considerably, even considering the flat landscape in Charles. A better antenna is definitely called for, depending greatly on where you will be using the scanner. In the car? At home? At work? Can you put something up outside? This will greatly help in the 'range' department.

We have an extensive database that you can download data from - more on that in a moment. Let's first take a tour - just in Maryland for now, to keep from getting too swamped - in your area (keep in mind, anything blue is a link)

Here's what we have for Charles...

Charles County, Maryland (MD) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

As you sound like you're pretty close to the water, the maritime frequencies are a possibility

Maritime Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Some of the in flight stuff coming and going from Pax River is a possibility

Naval Air Station Patuxent River Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

And I wouldn't ignore the ARTCC flight freqs - in your case, the Pax River RCAG is probably closest to you...

Washington (ZDC) Air Route Traffic Control Center (ARTCC) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Now how to get those freqs into the scanner? Get a copy of ARC125 from BuTel (Scanner Master sells it) and a premium subscription, and you will be able to download stuff like this right to the scanner.

Premium Subscription Information Page

Or you can use Scan125, which is freeware...and use their CSV utility to bring the frequencies in...

Scan125 Control Program

I think that's enough for now (I tend to go a little overboard sometimes ) Let's hear a little more from you.

Keep in mind we have devoted Maryland and Virginia forums where region-specific questions can be asked...Mike

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Frequencies for BS125AT

I would encourage you to get the ARC software. I use it with my 125, and it is easily better and quicker than any other choice.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Unfortunately I think the free Uniden software has no import capabilities from RR (it uses some sort of tab-delimited format) - it's probably fine for entering a few things, but you start having to manually type a lot of channels, that can be prone to error, importing is a far better way to go...Mike

WBOZ_FM

BC125AT Frequencies? Many thanks

To all that sent me information on my BC125AT, it is much appreciated. I forgot to say that I have the BuTell ARC 125 from Scanner Masters installed on my PC. I also forgot to mention that I replaced the "ducky" (thanks Mike) with a Diamond RH77CA ducky master, I hope.

BTW, Mike, thanks for the welcome friend, I really appreciate all your advice and all the resources that you have given me. The Charles County RR page is very limited in what I could import into my radio for this county. Last night I was looking at Scanner Masters Programming where you send them your radio and they do it for you, I don't know if that is a good idea, a little bit pricey considering $64 that's more than half of what I paid for the radio at $93.00. What do you think?

Also, you stated that a good antenna would be good for outside. I can do that provided it can be roof mounted, and I would appreciate your recommendation on a, (I suppose it would be a coaxial cable?). I will be using this radio in my truck as well but, mostly in my home. I noticed that the county has put up Emergency Evacuation signs on the main route where I live so, who knows when I will need to take my radio with me, and get out of dodge, so it's is good have. My new antenna should be arriving tomorrow and with all the great info you have given me, looks like I will be a little busy tonight.

I do have the Premium Membership and I installed the BuTell ARC125 from Scanner Masters, so I am glad we are on the same page. You did not go over board, the detail you gave was great. I love to learn new things and you have really helped me get started. So many thanks to you Mike and all who responded.

SCPD

QRT
It comes down to personal preference of course.

The free Uniden software allows simple copy and paste from RR but based on a review of the area, there is not a whole lot this radio will be able to receive.

With the digital scanner market being flooded right now and prices never lower due to the Radio Shack liquidation that extra $25.00, the cost of the ARC125 software could go a long way to opening up the possibilities of what you can listen to.

Last edited:

N8IAA

I am already in a very isolated area in Charles County MD, Newburg 20664 area off the Potomac river, so I am sure I can get areas across the river in Dahlgren VA area as my radio has a twenty mile radius. Based on what others have said on the internet about a good handheld radio. I love the fact that with the BC125AT you can tune into Marine, Aircraft, Railroad and the many frequencies of EMS etc.

I would really appreciate any help because I need to catch up. Many Thanks to all.

A twenty mile radius is a bit large. I own a 125AT, and it is usually hooked up to an external antenna. The only way I can hear analog communications on the radio. It is one of the best analog HT's I've ever owned. Including ham HT's.
You won't have a hard time hearing marine being on the river. Plug in the VHF/UHF milair and general aircraft frequencies. The radio was designed for that. Rail frequencies also work great on the 125.
Just remember, your county is on a mixed mode analog/digital system for PD/FD/EMS. Across the river, VA is on a digital P-25 system. Check in the MD and VA state forums further down the forums page for better info as to what the 125 will be able to hear on conventional, non-digital frequencies.
HTH,
Larry

SCPD

QRT
To all that sent me information on my BC125AT, it is much appreciated. I forgot to say that I have the BuTell ARC 125 from Scanner Masters installed on my PC. I also forgot to mention that I replaced the "ducky" (thanks Mike) with a Diamond RH77CA ducky master, I hope.

BTW, Mike, thanks for the welcome friend, I really appreciate all your advice and all the resources that you have given me. The Charles County RR page is very limited in what I could import into my radio for this county. Last night I was looking at Scanner Masters Programming where you send them your radio and they do it for you, I don't know if that is a good idea, a little bit pricey considering $64 that's more than half of what I paid for the radio at $93.00. What do you think?

Also, you stated that a good antenna would be good for outside. I can do that provided it can be roof mounted, and I would appreciate your recommendation on a, (I suppose it would be a coaxial cable?). I will be using this radio in my truck as well but, mostly in my home. I noticed that the county has put up Emergency Evacuation signs on the main route where I live so, who knows when I will need to take my radio with me, and get out of dodge, so it's is good have. My new antenna should be arriving tomorrow and with all the great info you have given me, looks like I will be a little busy tonight.

I do have the Premium Membership and I installed the BuTell ARC125 from Scanner Masters, so I am glad we are on the same page. You did not go over board, the detail you gave was great. I love to learn new things and you have really helped me get started. So many thanks to you Mike and all who responded.

While I own both the 125AT and the Diamond RH77CA and they are a good combination, I would hate for you to possibly throw good money after bad.

First you state you live in a "very isolated area" of Charles County that is "twenty five miles from the nearest town". This will be the biggest hurdle to overcome.

Second, based on a check of your area, I am seeing very little that the 125AT is able to even receive under the best of setup, that usually includes a external antenna.

Upgrading to a digital scanner as I alluded to in my another post may be the answer as you will then have a radio that is capable of receiving your county's full Fire/EMS, Sheriff Department, Emergency Management and Maryland State Police communication minus any encrypted groups.

One source of very local help in your area might be the gentleman who makes your county's communications available on Broadcastify. I have found most are a fount of knowledge about the local system they host. See, Charles County Fire and EMS and Charles County Law Enforcement.

Since it might help to get you up and running, I created a file (attached) with all channels in both Charles, and King George County as well as Maritime, NSWC and Naval Air Station Patuxent River. You will need to use the free software from Uniden I suggested as I do not own ARC125. All you need to do is load the file in this software and write it to the radio. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• WBOZ_FM.zip
    2.3 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

WBOZ_FM

Yea I know what you are saying lesel. When you look at what I have available here is very limited in the way of frequencies available without trunking and digital... I have been looking at a few radios that will widen my listening ability. I want to have Home/Mobil availability. I have looked at the Uniden Home Patrol 2 which is zip code and/or city programmable and a nice radio and is user friendly, if that is possible.?

A concern with this unit might be that it has the touch screen which is great, until you knock it over/off it's mounting. My BC125 is a good conventional analog scanner, just not appropriate with my region and topography with my home base being so limited.

Then there is the Whistler WS1065 that seems to fit my needs as well. I listen to Broadcastify and I hear what I should be getting on my radio. Go figure.

But I have to have a grip on what I have right now, and I will keep looking in the meantime. Hey thanks a lot for the zip file, it will come in real handy where I am located. I appreciate your time and effort in extending a helping hand in getting me up and running.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
<snip>
Also, you stated that a good antenna would be good for outside. I can do that provided it can be roof mounted, and I would appreciate your recommendation on a, (I suppose it would be a coaxial cable?). I will be using this radio in my truck as well but, mostly in my home. I noticed that the county has put up Emergency Evacuation signs on the main route where I live so, who knows when I will need to take my radio with me, and get out of dodge, so it's is good have. My new antenna should be arriving tomorrow and with all the great info you have given me, looks like I will be a little busy tonight. </snip>

It would be remiss of me to talk about antennas, which would be off topic here (since you were asking about frequencies in your thread title), and a no-no per RR policy, so I will point you to our scanner antennas sub-forum, where you can ask more specific questions...

Scanner / Receiver Antennas - The RadioReference.com Forums

However I will say that if you aren't afraid to do a little construction work, this antenna would probably be a very fine first timer choice for that little radio for your home...

Homebrewed Off-Center Fed Dipole - The RadioReference Wiki

As with any antenna outdoors, make sure that if it falls, it doesn't hit a power or phone line.

As for your truck, there are many considerations to be made here - and it's best to do that in the aforementioned forum. When you post there, state that you are using a 125AT and generally where you are (as you did earlier). Once you do that, other 125 owners can chime in...Mike

WBOZ_FM

Point well taken ka3jjz. One of my vices is opening the box and playing with the toy before I read the instructions and rules. Learning to play by the rules is a must so in the morning I will have my Homebrew then check out your However suggestion.

Thanks for the heads-up... Construction work is up my ally... Bo

Status
Not open for further replies.