New Member trying to program a BCD396T

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesSDE

I have searched through the forums and have found several different post in regards to this unit and problems programming it but have not found anything that has solved my problem.

I am trying to program Delaware's Public Safety System for Kent County (central Delaware).
System Type: Motorola Type II SmartZone
System Voice: APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=411

I have attempted to use ARC396 to import the database from RR and have succeed but receive no audio of any kind, even when holding on 1 talk group. I then tried to just program the freqs and talk groups used the most to attempt to troubleshoot but have gotten no where. Ever time I program this system in (via software or on the unit itself) I get a message "Finding CTRL Channel". The control channel along with the alternates are listed correctly in the database.

I did attempt to use Uniden's UASD software to program this system and transfer to scanner but have had no luck in doing so.

Scanner has been updated to the latest firmware V1.20.13

Any information would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!
James S.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
The latest firmware version is 3.02.02. The firmware updates partly related to rebanding. That may be your problem.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
"Finding CTRL Channel" usually indicates that either you are out of range of the control channel or the control channel(s) programmed are incorrect.

Check the database page for that system to assure the control channel(s) are correct. They should have downloaded through the software. If they are correct try a different antenna or location. Make sure you only have 1 site programmed per system, preferably the closest site to you.

Also as stated in the previous post make sure the scanner has the latest firmware.
BCD396TFirmwareUpdate < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

That system has also rebanded. See the link below to program the reband tables.

Software Support for Uniden Rebanding - The RadioReference Wiki

If you still have problems you may want to post in your state forum where someone who listens to this system may know a better way to set it up.

Last edited:

N8IAA

I have searched through the forums and have found several different post in regards to this unit and problems programming it but have not found anything that has solved my problem.

I am trying to program Delaware's Public Safety System for Kent County (central Delaware).
System Type: Motorola Type II SmartZone
System Voice: APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=411

I have attempted to use ARC396 to import the database from RR and have succeed but receive no audio of any kind, even when holding on 1 talk group. I then tried to just program the freqs and talk groups used the most to attempt to troubleshoot but have gotten no where. Ever time I program this system in (via software or on the unit itself) I get a message "Finding CTRL Channel". The control channel along with the alternates are listed correctly in the database.

I did attempt to use Uniden's UASD software to program this system and transfer to scanner but have had no luck in doing so.

Scanner has been updated to the latest firmware V1.20.13

Any information would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!
James S.

James, you need to be a premium member of RR to import frequencies/trunk systems to your programming software. And then to the scanner.
Larry

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'd confirm that the correct site for the desired site has been programmed.

One of the downsides to the 396T, unlike all other x96 models is that only one site can be programmed per system. All other models will allow multiple sites on the same system.

So that's why you have to be careful that the correct site is programmed.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I'd confirm that the correct site for the desired site has been programmed.

One of the downsides to the 396T, unlike all other x96 models is that only one site can be programmed per system. All other models will allow multiple sites on the same system.

So that's why you have to be careful that the correct site is programmed.

Interesting, I never heard that before. But then I am not a handheld scanner type guy! I did have a 996T at one point and it wasn't like that.

Soundman

If you are not a program you should have got a BCD436HP it does it for you and you can still program it . I love mine .If you travel you just hit location and it find the close tower .Best scanner .Yes there is some bugs but great scanner .

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Meant to say "site for talk group". 996t does multiple sites per system. 396T wasn't designed for large statewide systems with numerous sites. You can program such systems with the 396T but there will be lots of redundancy in the talk group part.

Status
Not open for further replies.