what do i need to buy to listen to my local police?

Status
Not open for further replies.

abnercus

Hi, i'm trying to be able to listen to my local police radio to see whats happening live in my area.
right now, all i own is a laptop, and an iphone. here is what i want to listen to:

dunwoody police dispatch
DEC:6038
HEX:1796
MODE: D
ALPHA TAG: DPD Dispatch Police Dispatch
TAG: Law Dispatch

what equipment do i need to buy to be able to listen to this?

thank you! charlie

SCPD

QRT
Hi, i'm trying to be able to listen to my local police radio to see whats happening live in my area.
right now, all i own is a laptop, and an iphone. here is what i want to listen to:

dunwoody police dispatch
DEC:6038
HEX:1796
MODE: D
ALPHA TAG: DPD Dispatch Police Dispatch
TAG: Law Dispatch

thank you! charlie

Dunwoody Police are a part of the larger DeKalb County Public Safety P25 Phase I system. I still only recommend buying a Phase II capable scanner though.

It is a great time to be getting into the hobby, really a buyer's market due to the recent Radio Shack liqudation and the market is flooded with the newest models at great prices.

I would recommend a Home Patrol-2 if you will be using it mainly at home or a BCD436 if you plan to carry it around on your belt. Both are great for car/truck use, as they can be hooked up to a GPS puck (not included) and will update automatically with local systems as you go down the road.

Last edited:

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)

You only really need a P25 Phase I scanner. A Phase II scanner will be more "future proof" if your system decides to upgrade to Phase II capabilities in the future, but a Phase I will still serve your purpose just fine.

Phase I Scanners:

Phase II Scanners:
Note: Phase II scanners are backwards compatible and support Phase I.

Status
Not open for further replies.