Scanner for 700mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markm32

Hey guys. I've searched and read multiple threads, but I'm still kind of lost. I'm looking for a scanner that I'll be able to monitor Stafford County's 700mhz system on, if possible. I can't seem to find anything, not that I really know what I'm looking at. Can anyone tell me a scanner, if any, I'd be able to get their channels on.

Thanks.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Assuming you are talking about Stafford County Trunking System, then anything on the list below should work. You might want to look into something called simulcast digital distortion as it looks like a Stafford County is a 6 site simulcast. There are mixed reports for each model on its performance with simulcast systems.

A Phase I digital scanner will still be able to handle your local system for now. A Phase II digital scanner might be better for traveling and in the long run. RadioShack somewhat recently liquidated a portion of their inventory so you may find a Pro-668 Phase II scanner for a lower price on the resellers market.

Phase II Scanners:
Note: Phase II scanners are backwards compatible and support Phase I.

Phase I Scanners:

RDGDigital

If you're talking about Stafford County, VA, be aware that many of the Sheriff channels are encrypted and no scanner will be able to monitor them.

Markm32

Thanks guys. My plan is to have it in my vehicle. Would you recommend a portable or mobile unit? With a mobile unit, would that require an antenna on the vehicle?

teufler

some sort of external antenna will increase your reception by 30-40%. Inside the vehicle , your car body blocks much of the rf signal. There are many mag mts, trunk lip mounts, all that would not require a hole in the vehicle. Antennas would run from $20.00 to $150.00, you just experiment around to find what you are happy with. As for what is able to hear, its a never ending game. Sort of like radar detectors. Police try one thing, sortly thereafter scanners update so whatever is scannable. DMR still has not showed up in the mainstream, and of course encryption I guess will never be obtainable. For us, Motorola p25 encryption is an expensive option. DMR has encryption built in and its much more obtainable by the average department.

Status
Not open for further replies.