Where to tune in a national disaster??

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryneely

I know nothing about short wave radios. I live in North Georgia. I have purchased an emergency radio with a digital tuner that covers 2 mhz to 23 mhz. It has 5 pre set buttons. In the case of a total melt down, EMP, Nuke, or wide spread disaster, where should I set these 5 presets. The only source that I can find is maybe 6.000 mhz Havana for news. What about the BBC or Voice of America, or some source of news from outside of my area. I have read that local Ham operators can be a source of local information and messages. In what frequency range should I look for the local Ham operators [I don't have SSB]? Thanks for your help, my internet search has been frustrating!

krokus

Premium Subscriber
What model radio do you have? That makes a difference, as if it is an AM only model, ten you will not get much from hams. (Hams typically use single sideband, called SSB. Whether upper sideband (USB) or lower sideband (LSB), depends on the band plan.)

Another factor, is the different frequencies work better during different times of day. So if you want to listen to BBC during your morning, that would be on a different frequency than you would utilize at night.

It might be better to make a list of broadcasters you want to listen to, and their seasonal schedules. (Yes, the times and frequencies change throughout the year.)

Sent via Tapatalk

ecps92

Frequencies and schedules for broadcast

I know nothing about short wave radios. I live in North Georgia. I have purchased an emergency radio with a digital tuner that covers 2 mhz to 23 mhz. It has 5 pre set buttons. In the case of a total melt down, EMP, Nuke, or wide spread disaster, where should I set these 5 presets. The only source that I can find is maybe 6.000 mhz Havana for news. What about the BBC or Voice of America, or some source of news from outside of my area. I have read that local Ham operators can be a source of local information and messages. In what frequency range should I look for the local Ham operators [I don't have SSB]? Thanks for your help, my internet search has been frustrating!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I remember seeing these radios - boy are they old! The ones that are still in good shape are worth money to collectors.

We need to break down your question into at least 3 distinct sources of information, each with their own usages; keep in mind that in the case of an EMP, most electronic devices will be fried (tube driven radios are more resistant to this), so let's hope that never happens :.>.

a. Your local MW and FM stations are going to be key sources of both national and local information (as they were on 9/11), depending on how the station allocates their resources and whether they are part of the larger networks such as ABC, NBC, CBS, etc.

b. You are correct that hams might well be a source of information. You will need a radio capable of 1-30 Mhz reception that covers SSB (and it's not out of the question that some digital modes might get involved, but let's table that for the moment, as it's a very large topic to cover). We have an article from our wiki (links always show up in blue) that will describe some of what is available...

Your First HF Receiver - The RadioReference Wiki

c. I think it's obvious that you would need to keep an eye on your local police / fire, so a scanner - a special type of receiver that scans multiple frequencies - is a must. What kind of scanner you would need depends on many factors, not the least of which is your budget, and the kind of system(s) used in your area. This article discusses several of these factors...

Scanning 101 - The RadioReference Wiki

Mike

terryneely

Thanks KroKus

I have a Ambient Weather WR-335. AM, Fm, Weather[7], Short Wave 2 to 23 Mhz. NO SSB. Listening at night. Need to know what stations outside the US where I can get News and Information from North Georgia.
So far the only station that I can find is 6.000mhz Havana Cuba. are there others such as BBC, Voice of America, ect. Also what are the local NON SSB frequencies that I should monitor?

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I have a Ambient Weather WR-335. AM, Fm, Weather[7], Short Wave 2 to 23 Mhz. NO SSB. Listening at night. Need to know what stations outside the US where I can get News and Information from North Georgia.
So far the only station that I can find is 6.000mhz Havana Cuba. are there others such as BBC, Voice of America, ect. Also what are the local NON SSB frequencies that I should monitor?

The stations you can receive will vary, a lot. It depends on time of day and frequency, along with your antenna. You are more likely to hear BBC and CBC.

Sent via Tapatalk

KB7MIB

Frequencies and schedules for broadcast

Note: The VOA is an external broadcaster, meaning that its' programs are meant to be received by listeners in foreign countries, not by listeners within the borders of the United States. So, although you may hear general information regarding a disaster that occurs within our borders, you may not hear detailed information that would be useable by you. That would come from your local AM, FM and TV broadcasts.

John
Peoria, AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.