Watson w-801 regular gainer antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dazza2

I decided to buy a w-801 antenna as an 'upgrade' for my uniden ezi33xlt which came with the stock 'rubber duckie'.
Before I pulled the trigger on the w-801 I read several reviews which were generally very positive. I mostly listen to airband + the local fire department who still use analog radio. To be honest i am a bit disappointed with the watson as any gains over the stock unit seem very marginal to me. Also i have a question that may be stupid, but I noticed if you hold the lower part of the antenna in one hand (connector part), you can rotate the main 'body' clockwise or counterclockwise, what purpose does that serve?

cheers

mark40

Premium Subscriber
mixed results

I had a W-801 as well. My results were mixed; a stock Uniden duck was better on Vhf. The W-801 was better on UHF. Another disappointment was when I got a WS1080 it would not fit on the BNC connection unless I took off the ear plug/ring that attaches to the BNC connection. Apparently the skirt on the W-801 is longer than the stock antenna.

As for the rotation of the body, my RH77CA does have that same feature. Not sure, perhaps it helps to limit any damage to the antenna and/or BNC connection point from rotational forces like rubbing against clothing, objects, etc....

Dazza2

Thanks for replying Mark. I see there are also some magnetic mount antennas available, typically about 30-35cm long with a large reception range (25-2000 Mhz). Would such an antenna significantly improve reception?

mark40

Premium Subscriber
Dazza-
To narrow it down, It really depends on your listening interest, one of which you mentioned is air band...
What frequencies does the fire department use?

Any multi band antenna is akin to "jack of all trades but master of none".
My listening interests are in Vhf and UHF so I want the best performer in that range.

Some antennas will work better than others on any given band like the W-801 example I noted where the stock Uniden duck is better on Vhf and the W-801 better on UHF.

My all around favorite has been the Diamond RH77CA which is also a ham antenna for Vhf/Uhf but also touted as being a good all around scanner antenna

However, for me, the RH77CA at approx. 40cm/16" is not practical for me to carry around so I only use it stationary at home. Thats why I'm experimenting with the Larsen KD-4 2/70 that is approx. 23cm/9" and also designed for Vhf and UHF.

I'd suggest targeting a new post in the Antennas and Associated Hardware forum to solicit opinions on a hand held antenna but make sure to specify what frequency bands you monitor i.e. Air Band and xxxx band. Also specify if looking for a particular size/length if that is important. Also if it is being used stationary or if you will use it on your belt, in the field, or both.

For me, antennas are a fascinating part of the hobby; lots of choices.
And you don't want to spend a fortune experimenting.
You can benefit from the trials, errors and experience of the folks here.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
I've had the same experiences with the w-801. I also have the w-881 and the RH77CA. Good and bad experiences with both of those too depending on band. I've had much better experience with tuned antennas for each band I listen to. I've had great experience with Smiley Antenna.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
My portable scanner antenna preference is the Comet CH-32. I have used them for over 20 years with excellent performance. It is only 1.75 inches long and has an extended receive range: 118-160MHz, 250-290MHz, 360-390MHz, 420-470MHz, 820-960MHz, 1260-1300MHz.

Dazza2

Dazza-
To narrow it down, It really depends on your listening interest, one of which you mentioned is air band...
What frequencies does the fire department use?

the fire department is in the 86-87 Mhz range.

mark40

Premium Subscriber
the fire department is in the 86-87 Mhz range.

With a Uniden ezi33xlt and Fire on 86-87 Mhz you must be in Europe?
With that in play it's a bit more challenging.

Can't really recommend a dual band antenna like the ones I've used, however.....

One option may be an HT antenna made for 87-88 Mhz that is optimum for Fire and it may also be sufficient on air band 118-137 Mhz. Might be hard to find one with a BNC connection.

Another option: The Wouxun KG-UV6D-E-V3 “International Version” Amateur HT covers 66-88MHz/136-174 MHz and the antenna is 280mm long. The antenna has an SMA antenna connection that is easily adaptable.This antenna is closer to meeting your needs. It would be considered a 4M/2M amateur antenna

Here are a few related links.

66 - 88 MHz - PROCOM A/S

WOUXUN 40 CM 4M / 2M ANTENNA

WouXun KG-UV6D-E-V3 66-88/136-174 MHz Review Part 1 |

Last edited:

maalox

the watson brand of antenna are awsome i use the watson 881 super gainer on a cheap magnet mount antenna inside on my ac i pick up all nyc some digital freqs and new jersey transit they are great the watson antennas. happy scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.