Questions about HP-2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE0GXN

I was hoping some of the scanner pros on here could recommend a good mobile antenna for the Home Patrol II. I have been thinking about pulling the trigger on an HP-2 and one of the antennas I have been looking at is this one on Amazon made by Pro Com:
Amazon.com: Scanner Radio Mini Magnet Mount Mobile Scanner Antenna - w/SMA Connector: Electronics

Not that I will need it with this particular antenna (states it is SMA), but I have heard the HP-2 comes with a SMA-BNC adaptor/connector in the box, is this true?

I do have some old Radio Shack mobile antennas that are BNC that I may want to try out if the Pro Com isn't any good. I have looked at the owner's manual online and I can't find where it says an SMA/BNC adaptor is an item/part included with the HP-2.

Finally, I am old school scanner buff that has been out of the game for many years and now looking to get back in. Last scanner I owned was a RS-PRO 2097. I was pretty savvy with it when it came to scanning Low-band, VHF, UHF and 800 MHz Motorola type II trunking systems, however with the advent of P-25 and the accompanying difficulty of programming the newer scanners, I lost touch with scanning in general, hence the reason I am going with the HP-2....No way I would even attempt to manually program a digital scanner at this point in my life.

Anyhow, I would greatly appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance guys!

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
The HP-2 does come with the adapter. I have had Uniden SMA scanners since 2006 and never used an SMA antenna. I change them too much so I use the BNC.

I have used a dual band HAM antenna in the past which looks similar to the antenna you posted and it worked fairly well. I have found that if you listen to mainly 800 MHz. that an antenna for that range is better. I use a Laird Tech 700/800 Phantom antenna and it is outstanding on 700/800, and works OK on VHF and UHF but not as well as a specific antenna for those frequencies, but is does work if I am in the areas which use those bands.

KE0GXN

The HP-2 does come with the adapter. I have had Uniden SMA scanners since 2006 and never used an SMA antenna. I change them too much so I use the BNC.

I have used a dual band HAM antenna in the past which looks similar to the antenna you posted and it worked fairly well. I have found that if you listen to mainly 800 MHz. that an antenna for that range is better. I use a Laird Tech 700/800 Phantom antenna and it is outstanding on 700/800, and works OK on VHF and UHF but not as well as a specific antenna for those frequencies, but is does work if I am in the areas which use those bands.

My area has a mix of VHF, UHF (small amount), Motorola Type II trunked and P-25 phase 1 & 2.

I will check out the Laird you mentioned, most of what I want to listen to is Type II or P-25. Only a few local Sheriff/PD/Fire and EMS use VHF still. The UHF bands I used to monitor are used in another state 36 miles away give or take.

I also have a couple of RS model 20-032 antennas, that seemed to work good back when I was scanning everything up to Motorola Type II systems, any opinion on those for P-25?

Also, I have been exhausting the internet on information and or reviews on the HP-2, trying to do my due diligence before pulling the trigger and I happened on this review from a guy on Amazon where he stated this....

"I plugged the included USB cable in my PC and selected NO on the Start Charging screen. This is clever: if you choose YES it accepts a charge current off the USB cable, as one might expect. If you select NO, the PC sees a flash drive with a SETUP folder! I went through the setup process and watched it load the scanner's interactive software onto my PC, which downloaded the latest firmware and national+state frequency database."

My question is, what is so "clever" about selecting NO, during that process?

Thanks for your help so far!

KE0GXN

Anybody please!

Stupid question....maybe.

I have one particular PD in my area that has flipped-flopped back and forth on VHF to P-25. They have tried dispatching on P-25, then decided it was not working for them and went back to their original VHF frequency channel. They have done this twice.

Anyhow, my question is. When I enter my zip and HP does it download, will it also download that agency's original VHF frequency, even though they currently have a P-25 ID tag assigned to them on the area's P-25 system? Will it monitor both without any input from me?

This agency I assume will eventually go P-25 fulltime, but for now they are staying on VHF only.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Stupid question....maybe.

I have one particular PD in my area that has flipped-flopped back and forth on VHF to P-25. They have tried dispatching on P-25, then decided it was not working for them and went back to their original VHF frequency channel. They have done this twice.

Anyhow, my question is. When I enter my zip and HP does it download, will it also download that agency's original VHF frequency, even though they currently have a P-25 ID tag assigned to them on the area's P-25 system? Will it monitor both without any input from me?

This agency I assume will eventually go P-25 fulltime, but for now they are staying on VHF only.
It would download both the original, Vhf frequency (presuming it's not flagged in the database as Depreciated) as well as the P25 talk group on the trunked system,

What agency (city & state) are you referring to? There are some I deal with here that use more than one mode of communication.

KE0GXN

As stated before antennas are dependent on the "frequency range" not rather or not they are P-25, trunked, Type II, etc.

For VHF/UHF/800 you would want a wide-band antenna like the Larsen NMO150/450/800.

You are correct. it took me a minute or two, but I now realize that. Thanks for your help and everyone else who has chimed in as well. I have already checked the Larsen you mentioned at the Farm.

I have been looking at this one too: http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/laird-technologies-abscancs-5587.html

It appears it is a more expensive version of the one you suggested with one of the differences being a spring base.....is the spring base better?

KE0GXN

@hiegtx

I got your PM response and tried to send you a reply however....not sure if it went through :(

This site is a wealth of information, but doesn't seem user friendly, of course it does not help that I am computer literate either ;)

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
They are basically the same antenna. The Larsen has exceptional reviews on this site and is considered the best overall scanner antenna.

The spring is for mobile use so it has a little "give" for wind, tree limbs, etc.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
As far as VHF / P25 channels I load both. Most of my regional counties are on the new state P25 system but some fire departments still use VHF for paging, fire ground, or local comms. Police agencies have been known to retain their old VHF radios to use as a backup or for local inter-agency, tactical, car-to-car, or chit chat. There is also a Statewide interagency VHF (Ohio LEERN) on 154.9350 still in use.

There are also VHF/UHF nationwide interop channels:

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=7742

KE0GXN

@W8RMH

For VHF/UHF/800 you would want a wide-band antenna like the Larsen NMO150/450/800.

I am thinking about going to with the Larsen you suggested, due to the wide-band needs in my area, instead of the ProComm I mentioned on Amazon. I looked at some mag mounts at the Farm and was curious if I could ask of your expertise and have you link me to one you suggest over there in the SMA configuration? I noticed Laresn did NOT have any in SMA, just mini-uhf.....whatever that is? Anyhow, your advice would be greatly appreciated.

My only indecisiveness on the Larsen, would be with VHF low-band pick-up. There are still some agencies in my area that use it as a back-up system and for car to car.

The ProComm starts at the 25mhz range, unlike the Larsen which starts at 150mhz....

Last edited:

safetypro79

Scanning since 1967
Premium Subscriber
Anchorage-Alaska, Boise-Idaho, Salem-Oregon
eBay seller

Who is selling the max rad for $16 shipped basically the mascan1000 it is new and in black with spring myself and some others purchased one that work great on all Banda. NMO mount
Seller heading:

Maxrad Z2120 780-870 MHZ 150 Watts 3DB Gain Maxbase w Spring

KE0GXN

Who is selling the max rad for $16 shipped basically the mascan1000 it is new and in black with spring myself and some others purchased one that work great on all Banda. NMO mount
Seller heading:

Maxrad Z2120 780-870 MHZ 150 Watts 3DB Gain Maxbase w Spring

You have any experience/opinions with it pulling in VHF low-band?

And how would you rate it on pulling VHF-Hi and or UHF?

KE0GXN

Anybody have any links or brand/type of good USB adaptors?

AC and DC (automobile and home), that are over 1000ma, for use with the HP-2 that will charge the batteries while the unit is on.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Anybody have any links or brand/type of good USB adaptors?

AC and DC (automobile and home), that are over 1000ma, for use with the HP-2 that will charge the batteries while the unit is on.
My HP-2 is plugged into one of these.

This is another higher current capacity ac adapter/chargercharger.

There are many more choices on Amazon as well as other websites. Depending on where your charger/adapter is, relative to where the scanner will be placed, you may want to look at a longer USB cable. Amazon, Monoprice, and other sources have these.

I recently purchased this 12v/USB adapter. Again, multiple online vendors to choose from. You might also check your local Walmart or Best Buy, though online may be cheaper (at least, lower than Best Buy or Radio Shack).

KE0GXN

My HP-2 is plugged into one of these.

This is another higher current capacity ac adapter/chargercharger.

There are many more choices on Amazon as well as other websites. Depending on where your charger/adapter is, relative to where the scanner will be placed, you may want to look at a longer USB cable. Amazon, Monoprice, and other sources have these.

I recently purchased this 12v/USB adapter. Again, multiple online vendors to choose from. You might also check your local Walmart or Best Buy, though online may be cheaper (at least, lower than Best Buy or Radio Shack).

Thanks for the suggestions!

After I posted here, I had to go to Walmart, so I checked some out while I was there. Found these two, but I am just not "electrical" literate enough to tell if they are within specs to charge the unit in the on mode :(

GE 2-USB Car Charger - Walmart.com

GE 2-USB Wall Charger - Walmart.com

Status
Not open for further replies.