BCD436HP software

Status
Not open for further replies.

glfain

Is it worth the money to buy the ARC software for the BCD436 to use with the Sentinel software. Will it be any easier to use and can you do alot more with it?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I use both ARC and Sentinel. Like most any software packages there are pluses and minuses.

ARC will do some things that Sentinel doesn't, such as change the case of tags to upper case or centering the tags.

On the other hand, ARC won't update the full database or allow you to work on profiles.

So for me, it comes down to what I want to do. The trick is to coordinate the files. If I change something with ARC, I'll write it to the scanner, then read it back into Sentinel and vice versa.

troymail

Silent Key
Have you played with Sentinel yet? If not, use the free stuff first .... don't spend money unless you see something you want/need that it doesn't do but the other does....

You may learn that what some think is better isn't for you...

Also, I don't have Arc but I suspect that while you get to download the RRDB into Sentinel for free, 3rd party apps usually require you to have a paid RR subscription. If this isn't true about Arc, I'm sure I'll be told that really fast....:D

XTS3000

I used the Uniden Sentinel software for a while and didn't care for it, so I purchased the ARC software and hated it. Now the Uniden Sentinel to me is pretty good vs the alternative ARC.

I know many like the ARC, but after using the sentinel for so long I couldn't figure out the ARC.

Just my opinion....

glfain

ARC vs Sentinel

ALL I want to do is create a small fav list and not have to scan whatever was loaded when I put my zip code in, bet it loaded the whole state of Okla, and you can adjust that how many freqs are scanned by using the range selection on the scanner...is that a correct statement.

Gerald

troymail

Silent Key
ALL I want to do is create a small fav list and not have to scan whatever was loaded when I put my zip code in, bet it loaded the whole state of Okla, and you can adjust that how many freqs are scanned by using the range selection on the scanner...is that a correct statement.

Gerald

I agree - the zip code option is generally not the best way to go if you have specific things you want to listen to.

You can create one or more lists (large or small) using Sentinel.... just takes a little time to learn the software and how to do it. This give you much more control over what gets loaded for scanning.

No matter what software you use, you need to take some time to learn and understand it. In the long run, you'll be more satisfied once you figure it out.

baayers

Gerald

It sounds like the Sentinel software will work fine for what you are trying to do. In my personal experience once I got adjusted to the software and how things are laid out I found myself being able to set up new favorite lists in just a matter of minutes.

The ZIP Code feature is very nice for when you plan on traveling but for areas you frequent more often such as home favorite lists are the way to go.

glfain

Police dept freq

I was getting the Tuttle PD on my old radio Shack analog scanner and now Radio Reference does not even have then listed in their directory, they have to be talking with all of the cars they have....any ideas? Tuttle PD, Grady county in Oklahoma , thats one reason I bought the new Uniden 436 HP scanner.

Thanks
Gerald

Status
Not open for further replies.