Police Scanners and 800mhz Transition

Status
Not open for further replies.

eserednyj

My local police dept just transitioned to the 800mhz system. The hand held radios they are using is the Motorola APX 6000. I am doing research on getting the appropriate scanner. My budget is around $500..Im looking at a Uniden Bearcat - Uniden Bearcat BCD536HP Digital Police Scanner

I'm not sure what to look for as far as compatability. I'm new to all of this, so be easy on me.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Welcome to Radioreference. It would be a great help if you provided your location and/or the department/system name. The BCD536HP is the top of the line and it should work but we can't be sure without first looking at the system details.

Click on your username in yellow at the top of the page and you can enter your city and state.

eserednyj

Thanks for the response. I am in Lake County Indiana. I am specifically looking to listen to the Gary, IN Police. From the research I did, it looks like if the scanner has trunking and P2 I should be good right?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
https://www.bearcatwarehouse.com/scanners/trunk-trackers/handheld/bcd436hp.html

Here is a link for another scanner I was looking at. I would need to be portable with it.
The 536HP is portable only in the sense that it can be mounted in a vehicle, or used as a base at home.

The 436HP is portable in that you can operate it using batteries, or power it from a power supply (wall wart) at home, or a cigarette lighter type adapter in your vehicle. The advantage of a true portable, besides the fact it can be used anywhere, carried room to room at home, used outside the house, such as on a deck, where ever you want, is that it also can keep working (as long as you have charged batteries or a vehicle adapter available) in case of a major, long lasting, power outage. The base/mobile scanners, such as the 536HP, BCD996P2, or Whistler's WS-1095 (soon to be joined by the WS-1098) generally have better sounding audio, due to a bigger case and speaker.

For the 436HP (the link you provided), it's about $30 cheaper on Amazon.

eserednyj

Thanks! My question with it is, is will that particular scanner be able to pick up the 800mhz system from Lake County Indiana. Gary police dept?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DickH

As you can see the 436 is a true portable, the 536 is not. They are basically the same scanner in different configurations.
p1575500739-4.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.