Why A Scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gratefulleo

I'm new here as well as new in the scanner world. I'm wondering why a dedicated scanner would be more beneficial than using Broadcast Fly or other internet scanner that I could use for free?

Any feedback for a newbie would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Guys!

Leo

n5ims

The simple answer is that with the internet based scanners you can only hear that the provider has their system programmed for you to hear (although you can quickly and easily change to another provider that will have a different agency programmed). They are also limited to what the distributer allows to be broadcast (generally only the basic channels and not the more interesting SWAT or similar critical channels). On the plus side, you can listen to signals that are way outside of your area.

With a scanner, you can program it to tune in whatever you want and don't need to worry about anyone else's rules on what you can and can't hear. That said, there are limitations. If a channel is encrypted you won't hear (well at least won't understand) it. Also the scanner will only let you hear the signals that are close enough for it to pick up.

gratefulleo

n5ims,

Thanks for the quick reply. Makes sense to me. Any other input would be helpful as well. I'm glad to become a member of this community. I'm looking forward to learning a lot! :)

KE0GXN

To me the biggest advantage to not exclusively listening to internet based scanners is having the ability to listen to whatever systems/agencies/channels you want. With internet providers, you are at the mercy of whatever they want to monitor. For example, lets say you live in NYC in the confines of the 90 Pct. and you want to listen to what is happening in your hood, well guess what, there is no provider right now on Broadcastify currently providing that feed, so you would be regulated to listening to the citywide SO channel to maybe catch something going on on your block of a serious nature, as routine stuff would not be put out on the SO channel.

About the only thing I use internet provided feeds is to listen to stuff in areas I am way out of range of and that tend to have a lot of action, i.e LAPD, NYPD, Chicago PD etc. Internet feeds are also good for listening in on far away major incidents as well, such as tornado responses, civil unrest...etc.

For local everday stuff you can't beat having your own rig to monitor what you see fit as you see fit. :)

gratefulleo

Thanks! I'm starting to see a trend. After reading these posts I pulled the trigger on a Uniden 436HP. Seems like it's simple to setup and I can learn more technical details as time goes on. Appreciate the feedback.

Leo

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
The 436 a nice scanner, but can intimidate some folks. Don't be afraid to come in and ask questions when you receive it. Welcome to the forums!

KE0GXN

Yep, take it from me, I too came here before I pulled the trigger on my scanner, got great feedback which led me to purchase the scanner that works for me and then when I got it, these guys are the best at answering any questions you have about how to use it.

If it was not for this place I would have been lost. Great dudes in here, who know everthing and anything about scanners or about radios for that matter.....there is no better scanner site on the internet in my humble opinion!

Good luck and welcome aboard! :)

Last edited:

AC2OY

Leo greatful welcome to RR,! A scanner lets you customize or fine tune what you desire to monitor. You can lock out,isolate or pritty much do what you want. Create a custom favorite list for when you hear sirens. Stuff like that. Where do you live,what is you wish to monitor? Good luck have fun!!!

Soundman

I love my 436 you can't go wrong with that scanner . It has everything you will need . People are here to help you if you have problem and utube has great videos that will help you to .

avdrummerboy

One thing I didn't see mentioned is real time monitoring! The internet feeds have purposeful delay added as well as the intrinsic latency in the fact that it is internet based. With a physical scanner in your hands, you get real time monitoring of anyone keying up on the systems.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
And, if you're so inclined, you can listen to some of the not-so-popular frequencies: railroads, public works, ham, marine, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.