I need help with my Tecsun PL-660

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin39715

Hello everyone,
I'm new here, and I need some advice on what might be wrong and/or what I can do to fix my Tecsun PL-660 shortwave radio.
A while back I was very interested in shortwave and numbers stations and stuff, so I bought a Tecsun PL-660 to listen in on things like that.
I used the original batteries that came with the radio, and I kept it plugged in next to my bed so I could listen to it at night. Now I read somewhere else that someone kept his plugged in (and I think the external antenna as well) for a couple months while he was on vacation. I might've kept mine plugged in for a couple days, but I would take it out once and a while so I could use it other places, and I hardly ever used the external antenna. I'm also sure I would've unplugged the power cord if a thunder storm came.
But anyway,(and this happened once before but I fixed it easily) one night I tried to turn the radio on and no sound came out. I looked at the display and it said "on" and "off" when I turned it on and off, and the rest of the display was working exactly as it should, but the orange backlight would not turn on and no sound would come out.
Now like I said, this happened before briefly, but somehow I was able to get it to work again in little bit. But this time it just stayed that way and it didn't work.
So what I did was pressed the reset button. However, this made the whole screen blank, and I haven't been able to get it back on ever since.

So I don't know whether the batteries need charged....(I actually did try to charge them using one of my regular AA chargers but I found out that they aren't compatible with it....I don't think). I hope it wasn't because I left it plugged in for too long or something like that.
Anyway do you think it's fixable? Can I get any suggestions on what I might have to do?
Just tell me if you need more information....I hope I can remember what all I did. Thank you!
Dustin

majoco

Stirrer
Remove the batteries and leave them out overnight. Refit batteries and try again. Still no work? Try the reset procedure - page 21 in the manual.

Dustin39715

Remove the batteries and leave them out overnight. Refit batteries and try again. Still no work? Try the reset procedure - page 21 in the manual.

Thanks for the advice! I took the batteries out the other day and checked them with my dad's battery checker. The indicator never moved past the "replace" point. So I guess they are DEAD dead. Anyway, I think I am going to look for some better batteries for it and a wall charger specifically for those batteries. Then I'll see how the new batteries work in it.

Dustin39715

Ok, I ordered a pack of four Eneloop pro batteries and a charger. However, I tested the new batteries in the scanner and it still won't turn on or show any activity or anything. The display is still blank. I am using the new charger to charge the original Tecsun batteries, but other than that I don't know what to do other than buy a new scanner.

radiotry

My pl 660 showed same problem (time on display but no light and no switch on) opened and I found the little pcb of dc power / AA batteries with the power female plug partially desoldered due to use.
Soldered and now the radio switchs on and work again.
Hope it would useful to You
Best regards

Status
Not open for further replies.