Newbie looking for Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmers8602

Hello to all:

I'm very new to scanning, and have read the FAQs, Scanning 101, etc.

I'm looking for a scanner that is a APCO-25 (P25) Phase II capable handheld, and is most reasonable in cost.

I live in Austin, TX, Travis County zip 78734. I would like to monitor Police, Fire and EMS activity.

I have been to the Texas Forum, but it is very silent with hardly any activity, so I am posting here.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you...

Blackswan73

Lowest cost handheld phase 2 scanner is the R/S Pro 668. New Price is averaging currently between $225-$240. Very capable scanner, and my personal top choice.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
If you can wait a couple weeks I would check out the Whistler WS1088. You can google it to get more info. There's been a lot of problems with Uniden's newest Phase II offerings.

Blackswan73

A 1088 is nothing more than a 668/1080 with a keyboard added. By the way, Unidentified has had virtually no problems with the HP2. In fact, it still has the same firmware it was released with. No updates needed.

Blackswan73

My point was, the 1088 will gain nothing in performance over the 668, but will cost twice as much. The OP was looking for a low cost phase 2 handheld. The only two handhelds that fit that designation are the 668, or the Uniden P325. If the OP considers a used Radio, then that opens the possibility of a PSR 800, Whistler 1080, or a Uniden 436

dsalomon

Premium Subscriber
As with any new technology that changes frequently, buy the best/most you can afford. In my experience, top end devices tend to depreciate a bit slower than middle/low end devices. You will have something that you will be able to sell/upgrade over time.

I typically buy a top end scanner (in my current situation, a Uniden BCD536HP and a BCD436HP), then keep it until it's resale value is around 50%-60% of new. My experience (and this is JUST my EXPERIENCE and my SUGGESTIONS) is that by about that time, a newer device with more bells and whistles is available. So, I usually sell the old one at about 50%-60% of what I paid for it new, then buy another new one.

That's what has worked well for me and is is simply a suggestion. Your mileage may vary.

You did not say if you wanted a base or handheld? Do you travel frequently enough that having a portable scanner would be a worthwhile investment? For features, the Uniden BCD436HP and BCD536HP are nearly identical, the 536 having a little additional functionality for use with its Wi-Fi- dongle. Do you want a device that is computer programmable? More specifically, one that can take lists/databases from the internet and program the radio that way. While some people are bashing RadioReference for some of their tactics. it is ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT that they are in bed with the scanner manufacturers that provide the ability to simply download a list from RR directly/automatically into a list/favorite/etc. into the scanner.

73 - David, AG4F

Blackswan73

He did say he wanted a handheld. I do agree to get the best you can afford. For some folks, especially those on a fixed income, that may limit what one is able to afford. For the best bang for buck, the 668, is hard to beat. In fact I now have the 668, HP2, and 536, and of the three, the 668 is still my best radio, followed very closely by the HP2. While the 536 does offer some interesting features, in actual performance, both the 668, and the HP2 out perform, or equal it.

dsalomon

Premium Subscriber
muskrat39 -

I missed the bit about the handheld. Thanks for pointing that out. I obviously need to read more carefully.

I'm curious, in what aspects do the other radios outperform (or equal) the 536? I've never used either the HP2 or the 668, so I have no basis for comparison. Do you know of any websites that offer a side by side comparison of these 3 radios...features, functions, specs, etc.? Off to Google and try to find that answer myself as well.

"most reasonable in cost" is VERY subjective. The definition of "reasonable" depends on who is defining it. This is another reason I suggested getting a top end radio vs others. Maybe that's reasonable for jimmers8602, and maybe it's not.

Best - David

Blackswan73

In my location, which would be considered suburban, or semi rural, my best performing radio is my 668. It is more sensitive, especially on VHF Hi, than my 536, or my HP2e, although the HP is very close. All three radios are connected to the same type antennas. While I like some things about the 536, like the DIN mounting, reversible display, and WiFi, and extra filter, there are some things I don't like, mainly audio. On many broadcasts, the audio is too bassy, and muffled. In a base configuration, the speaker is on the bottom, further muffling the audio, unless you operate it in the inverted position. In both my 668, and my HP, the audio is crisp and clear. I particularly like the HP as a base, since it has a front firing speaker. Still price wise, my 668 has been the best bang for buck. I got good prices new for all three, the 668 for $200, the HP2 for $300, and my 536 for $429. For a side by side comparison with lab conditions, check edmscan's thread on his selectivity and sensitivity shootout

http://forums.radioreference.com/ge...en-whistler-scanner-selectivity-shootout.html

Last edited by a moderator:

jimmers8602

Thank you...

Muskrat39 and Dsalomon:

I appreciate all the info you have provided and the conversation between you. I can tell this forum is a great place to get info.

I'm really trying to keep the initial cost down, that's my priority! However, I do realize that performance is important also. At first thought, after reading your replies, the R/S 688 appeared to be what I'm looking for as a first scanner.

Again, thank you both for providing me with a lot of information. I'll be lurking on the forums to get myself up to speed. There are also a lot of articles on this site that will be worthwhile reading.

Regards... Jimmers

Nasby

I was visiting my mom last summer in Dripping Springs and took my PRO-668 with me.

It worked great on the GATRRS System.

jimmers8602

Thanks Nasby!

Is the GATRRS System something I program into the PRO-668? I'm really new at this.

I'm sure I'll learn along the way. Is there a specific forum I can go on to learn more? Don't want to post to the wrong forum.

Thank...

Nasby

Thanks Nasby!

Is the GATRRS System something I program into the PRO-668? I'm really new at this.

I'm sure I'll learn along the way. Is there a specific forum I can go on to learn more? Don't want to post to the wrong forum.

Thank...

It will already be programmed in the scanner.

Scroll down to the Texas Radio Forums for info and read some of the threads related to Austin.

There are lots of folks from the Austin area on the Texas forum who can help you out.

Status
Not open for further replies.