Home Patrol 2 wall wart current?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackswan73

Yes, but I definitely would not charge the batteries while in the scanner. I would by at least two sets of batteries(I personally have 4), and charge them in an external smart charger.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hi all,

Will a 1 amp wall wart (AC to USB 5V) be enough to charge a Home Patrol 2?
It will if the adapter is a "smart" type, that identifies itself as capable of supply 1 amp or more. With that being said, such an adapter can both operate as well as charge the scanner at the same time. If less than 1amp, or not a 'smart' adapter, it will either operate the HP-2, or charge it, but not both at the same time, as long as it supplies 500ma (the USB standard, as in from your pc).

As muskrat noted, external charging is better advised. While battery failures that result in damage to the device are rare, they can and do occur. Also, the charge function in the scanner is only a timed charge, based on what battery capacity you set. Unlike a good external charger, it may not get the cells fully topped off, or possibly overcharge. They are connected in series in the scanner, and it has no circuitry to sense the charge state of the individual batteries.

KE0GXN

I use to use this one before I decided to exclusively run of batterires:

Aukey 12W (2.4A) Dual USB Charger Adapter (Black)

Worked great prior to that and and still does with my Iphone and Ipod. I am currently cycling 7 quads through my HP-2 and smart charging them in a Maha C9000. I have actually made a seperate little hobby out of charging them.....yes I know I am a dork and my wife reminds me of it all the time. :D

Anyhow, avoid in scanner charging if you can. The adaptor I linked will charge the HP-2 while it is on or off, but like others have stated it will be no bueno for you if you experience a battery failure within the unit.....not worth the risk with a $400 piece of equipment if you ask me.

Happy scanning!

Status
Not open for further replies.