Contact person from different state

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhadresh

Hello HAMs,

I am new to radio world. I just cleared by technician test and waiting for my name to be displayed on FCC database.

I hear people saying that contact can be made worldwide through radio. But I am not clear as how to do this.

What I know is that I can transmit to the repeaters near my area. Which will repeat my message a few miles by increasing the output.

The question is, how can I contact someone who is miles away in a different state?

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to Amateur Radio (and a Moderator may want to move this thread to an Amateur Radio forum). As a Technician, your "long range" capabilities are somewhat limited from the standpoint of being able to directly transmit on HF frequencies.... which are what will get you the greatest distances. Basically, you have two options: 1) Wait for a 10 meter band opening and use the portion of 10 meters allocated to Technician licensees, 2) See if you are in range of any wide-area network linked repeaters. The latter often cover entire or even multiple states. The real answer: Get your General and an HF rig.

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
3Dphil

While your privileges as a Technician do limit you there are many ways to work long distances if that is what you want to do. One way is via satellite. So called 'weak signal' VHF is another. Look into SSB on six meters or two meters- working long distance on VHF does require dedication and patience. Do some reading or ask a local ham what is going on. Although most hams use FM and repeaters that is only part of the story.

Congrats on getting your ticket-where you go from here is up to you.

n4yek

Or get a DMR radio that is starting to become popular in ham radio if there is a DMR repeater in your area. There are talkgroups used on there that are for 'world-wide', 'North America', "State-wide' and 'local' contacts.

Last edited:

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Being able to talk long distances through a repeater is made possible by linking repeaters by various methods. Most of the current linking technologies use the internet (such as Echolink, IRLP, D-Star and several other methods). Check with the clubs in your area to see if any of them support any of these linking protocols. A little Googling of these protocols will give you some idea of the hardware and operating requirements. Other wise long distance communications will require a band opening or the use of HF frequencies.
BB

majoco

Stirrer
We have what is called the "National Link" on 70cm repeaters. Fortunately we have a "backbone" of high-ish hills and mountains along the whole length of the country. A string of 70cm repeaters have been carefully frequency managed so that all the repeaters are linked so that someone in the very south of the country can call someone in the north hopefully by call sign (although "calling and listening" is OK if the link is not overly busy) and after all the repeaters have gone ker-chunk he will call you back. You have to be aware that everyone can hear what you're saying and may interject! Good fun though!

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=z7uewZrNlhXA.kPCkOnkn1sVA&hl=en

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
You didn't say your location, but if there is a Win System repeater within range, this would be a good way to play with long distance communication within the scope of your technician license. Visit Winsystem for details. You can also monitor the Win System via Broadcastify.

Status
Not open for further replies.