Programming the WS1065

Status
Not open for further replies.

mercoupe50

Premium Subscriber
I would like to program this scanner from my PC. I downloaded WIN500 from Starrsoft but do not have a clue how to proceed to download the frequencies in my area. I would appreciate any help.

mercoupe50

Premium Subscriber
Thanks so much for the reply. I got as far as looking at the frequencies in Tillamook County, Oregon but they show only 17 or so under conventional frequencies. There are many more frequencies in small towns in the country that are not shown. How do I get these?

mercoupe50

Premium Subscriber
The PDF file showing all of the FCC frequencies in the county does have the other frequencies listed. How do I find these on WIN500?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
The PDF file showing all of the FCC frequencies in the county does have the other frequencies listed. How do I find these on WIN500?

You don't mention what "PDF file" you are looking at so it's difficult to give an answer.

If you are speaking of the Radio Reference database, can you post a direct link to what you are speaking of?

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Thanks so much for the reply. I got as far as looking at the frequencies in Tillamook County, Oregon but they show only 17 or so under conventional frequencies. There are many more frequencies in small towns in the country that are not shown. How do I get these?

I know Tillamook county pretty well. If that is the only county you want to program you could do that pretty easily from the keypad of the radio & not bother with computer programming. All most folks would need for Tillamook is the one Sheriff channel, the one State Police channel, about 5 Fire channels, a couple Siuslaw NF and ODF channels, maybe Marine Ch 16, and a few other of the Marine and Coast Guard frequencies, and you'll have it pretty well covered. I know all of those are in the RR database, or can be found online, like the Marine channels. The county dispatches for Tillamook City PD, Manzinita PD, Rockaway PD. All that law traffic is on the Sheriff's channel. What other frequencies do you think are used that are not listed?

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
And by the way, if you're listening to the Sheriff's channel, and you think you're missing some traffic, you might just be right. They use I think 4 different repeaters to cover the whole county. If I'm in Oceanside I can receive the Mt Hebo repeater perfectly, but if they switch all comms over to South Saddle I have a very hard time picking that one up with the stock duck antenna. They'll probably switch over to a simulcast system some day, which will solve that problem, but who knows when that might happen.

mercoupe50

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply. I was able to figure it out and enter the channels manually on the PC. It is quite the program.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
In case you haven't seen it yet, there's lots of info under the Wiki tab at the Tillamook County RR page:

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=2233

Also, from Oceanside I've had good luck receiving Lincoln County sheriff and fire, and OSP Newport. Depending on conditions I've also sometimes picked up Yamhill and Clatsop County sheriffs.

Occasionally you'll get really good tropospheric ducting along the coast. This is usually in the summer, but can happen any time of year. In those conditions you might receive things much farther afield, like Coos County or Pacific County. You might plug those frequencies into your scanner. I'd keep them locked out until conditions are good. You can get a good idea of current tropo conditions and forecast here:

Tropospheric Ducting Forecast for VHF & UHF Radio & TV

Click through the map for forecast conditions several days out.

Status
Not open for further replies.