BCT15X reception.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skywatch1

My first post here. I got a Uniden bct15x scanner today. I'm new to this and see that there's no user manual. I found some helpful videos on YouTube. I've gotten the WX radio and FM radio working.

But when it comes to the police and other bands when it scans and hits something, all I get is white noise or crackling. Nothing worth listening to.

The scanner includes a telescopic antenna. But I've been exploring base antennas. I also have a CB radio and remember before I hooked up an antenna it wouldn't get anything.

Is the antenna the key to the reception issues? Or is there something else within the scanner itself that might help it? I'm new to this and don't know anything about it.

Skywatch1

I did get some action after the original post. Got a hit on the ham radio bands and today listened to a police conversation the next city over. Might have just been a bad time last night.

HelixArray

I have the same scanner too. I have used a BNC "stubby" antenna( I think it's conical after removing the plastic) with no problems before. Without your area info we're in the dark about your reception. Bring the squelch just above the static noise(probably 3-5).

Welcome to RR, the more info you give the faster these guys will have you up and scanning in no time.

edit: that manual link above is priceless. I suggest you save it HTML.

captclint

Mentor
Collin County in Texas.
In case you have not seen our database, Collin County, Texas (TX) e
Most of the action is on this trunking system: Collin County Public Safety Trunking System,
A trunking system is a little more difficult to program than conventional. Trunking Questions and Trunking 101
You really need to look at all the links in order to understand both conventional and trunking. Most people get FreeSCAN software because it helps you see what you are doing and avoids a lot of manual work with the scanner keyboard.You could also become a paid subscriber to this site to get the automatic down loads of our database. This can save you countless hours of programming and frustration. You will need a USB adapter cable to take advantage of the downloads Connecting_scanners_via_USB

Last edited:

N8IAA

Collin County in Texas.

It looks like the cities have their own trunk systems. Phase I and Phase II. The county system is analog. You should take a look at the database, and figure out what you need for your area. Some of the PD's are Encrypted, so no joy there.
Larry

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
The BCT15X is a good radio, but it is analog only. As mentioned, your county uses an analog system, but many of the cities are digital. Some are P25 phase II digital. So it all depends on what you want to hear, but you would need one of the newer phase II capable scanners to get the widest possible coverage for your area.

Status
Not open for further replies.