Reverse

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecps92

I will assume you are referencing an Amateur Radio Frequency (but since the thread is not in that forum PLEASE confirm)

Talk-In = usually used when/if Folks need directions into an Amateur Event (Flea Market, Meetings or Convention)

Reverse = Basically using the Repeater Pair inverted or also used to Listen to the input, to see if your close enough to go to a Simplex Channel

What is talking "in or on the reverse". Heard some guys talking last night mention this

I think Bill is right. Also, in some public safety systems, most people think of "talk around" as talking on the output side of a repeater. Some people set up radio systems where users can talk directly on the input side to a repeater. Why? Maybe the repeater doesn't have very good coverage, or sometimes the units go out of the area and need to talk to each other. By switching to "reverse," someone listens to the input side and, with some radios, talk on the output side, putting themselves in the place of the repeater. Or, the conversation could switch completely to the input frequency (sometimes with a different or no CTCSS/CDCSS). You wouldn't hear base or the repeater, but you would hear whomever is close by. Depends on who set it up and what the need is. In many radios, pressing a "reverse" button is a quick listen to that input frequency.

In ham etiquette, if you can hear the other station on simplex you probably should be using simplex... not that most repeaters are so busy anymore that people have to use them as call-and-switch operations.

ab5r

You may also hear "listen upside-down." PEASE, don't sand on you head doing this. It means the same as afore mentioned. :lol

KSQ895

Yes, I was referring to an Amateur Radio Frequency

I will assume you are referencing an Amateur Radio Frequency (but since the thread is not in that forum PLEASE confirm)

Talk-In = usually used when/if Folks need directions into an Amateur Event (Flea Market, Meetings or Convention)

Reverse = Basically using the Repeater Pair inverted or also used to Listen to the input, to see if your close enough to go to a Simplex Channel

I'm very new to all of this so could yyou explain "Using The Repeater Pair Inverted" please?

ecps92

example:

Repeater TX 146.6700 Repeater Talks (Output)
Repeater RX 146.0700 Repeater Listens (Input)

Normal (Are we Really Normal) User TX 146.0700 The users normallyTalk
Normal User RX 146.6700 The users normally Listen

Reverse User RX 146.0700 User is listening to the input of the Repeater
Reverse User TX 146.6700 User is Talking on the Repeater output instead of the input

I would suggest investing/reading some of the basic Amateur Radio study Guides or even grab an old Police Call, which has basic explainations of Radio usage

Yes, I was referring to an Amateur Radio Frequency

I'm very new to all of this so could yyou explain "Using The Repeater Pair Inverted" please?

...or even grab an old Police Call, which has basic explainations of Radio usage
Those old Police Call books were excellent. The editor wrote a fantastic explanation about how radio systems worked, and he did so in a way that was very understandable. He even wrote about guessing what frequency band your town was on by looking at the kind of antennas on the car (that's changed a bit, but it was handy info back in the day). There are plenty of them floating around looking for a good home on the auction sites.

Also, try surfing the RR Wiki. There are a lot of things in it, so do it in small bites and try not to get overloaded.

And, ask! Nobody's shy about giving advice here (some of it is even correct). :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.