helpp a xmas present i cant get programmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvnchoclate

Premium Subscriber
i have a bcd 396xt. i have basic knowledge how they work and after researching for many many hours, i have somehow got a conventional channel entered and work. but that's just 1 channel. when i pull up my city and state Norfolk, va it looks like i should be entered conventional frequencies and p25 standard trunk (which really has me confused. i need a walkthrough - i follow directions well. cant download the program software i keep getting errors so that's why ive resulted to inputting manually. which im fine with cause i really only need fire and police talk and ems. got this great scanner for 4 to 5 codes.. lol but im ok with that. someone please help me. i bought this for a xmas present and i have 1 day to have this programmed for my mom.

Last edited:

kma371

QRT
what errors are you getting when trying to download software? also, which software?

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
....cant download the program software i keep getting errors so that's why ive resulted to inputting manually....

Looks like the Public Safety in your city is all on a trunked P25 system. Systems like that are difficult and time consuming to program manually, and prone to errors. Most folks use software such as Freescan to program systems like this. I suggest you try to work through any problems downloading software and give it a try. You'd also need a subscription to Radioreference so you can access the database from within Freescan. It takes a little time and effort to learn the software, but trust me, it is worth it. Programming this way is pretty much a snap once you know how.

A great starting point for learning more about the 396 is Mark's Easier to Read manual:

Easier to Read BCD396XT Digital Scanner Manual

Hope that helps.

Voyager

Actually, I find P25 systems to be some of the easier to program, as all you need are the control channels and alternate control channel frequencies, and the TGs (or use ID SEARCH). There are much more complex systems out there.

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
i have a bcd 396xt. i have basic knowledge how they work and after researching for many many hours, i have somehow got a conventional channel entered and work. but that's just 1 channel. when i pull up my city and state Norfolk, va it looks like i should be entered conventional frequencies and p25 standard trunk (which really has me confused. i need a walkthrough - i follow directions well. cant download the program software i keep getting errors so that's why ive resulted to inputting manually. which im fine with cause i really only need fire and police talk and ems. got this great scanner for 4 to 5 codes.. lol but im ok with that. someone please help me. i bought this for a xmas present and i have 1 day to have this programmed for my mom.

i live in hampton and have the same scanner. bring that thing over here and we will program it. i use freescan and have everything for this entire area programmed into my 396xt. if u cant figure it out, bring it over.

Nasby

i live in hampton and have the same scanner. bring that thing over here and we will program it. i use freescan and have everything for this entire area programmed into my 396xt. if u cant figure it out, bring it over.

Kudos to You Scott!!

Happy Holidays man.

luvnchoclate

Premium Subscriber
thats just wonderful scott. you don't know how much I appreciate that really. thanks everyone for responding. just to answer kma371 - its just goes through the download process and when it gets to the end of downloading it says cant be downloaded but doesn't give a reason why. ive tried freescan and bc tool .. both are doing the same thing. hopefully with scotts help - we can get it up and going for my mom. thanks again

luvnchoclate

Premium Subscriber
I sent you a private message scott but doesn't seem to show up in my messages sent. Im still new to RR .. if you didn't get it please let me know maybe you can message me and we can do it that way.

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
I sent you a private message scott but doesn't seem to show up in my messages sent. Im still new to RR .. if you didn't get it please let me know maybe you can message me and we can do it that way.

i received your message and answered. be happy to help you program the 396XT. not a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.