Newb here and need some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

iw378

Premium Subscriber
Long story short, A long time ago I bought a scanner from radio shack, a pro 2010. I enjoyed listening to it for local pd fire and ems transmissions. Last time I used it was probably about 5 or 6 years ago. Anyways I pulled it out of the closet last week and found out how dated it was as I could not hear the local pd's.
I am looking to buy a new scanner that will cover the area I live in, Solano County Ca. Looks like the major cities have converted to the motorola type 2 smartnet. I just want a scanner that will work with that without being too complicated. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

teufler

SOME OF WHAT YOU HAVE IN THE 5 COUNTIES AROUND YOU HAVE GONE TO P25 TYPE 1. YOU ARE LOOKING AT A rs 106, A UNIDEN 396XT, AS PORTABLES AND A 996 AS A MOBILE. IN REVIEWING THE 5 COUNTIES, NONE HAVE GON E TO P25 TYPE 2 SO YOU DO NOT NEED THE LATEST AND GREATEST.

N8IAA

Long story short, A long time ago I bought a scanner from radio shack, a pro 2010. I enjoyed listening to it for local pd fire and ems transmissions. Last time I used it was probably about 5 or 6 years ago. Anyways I pulled it out of the closet last week and found out how dated it was as I could not hear the local pd's.
I am looking to buy a new scanner that will cover the area I live in, Solano County Ca. Looks like the major cities have converted to the motorola type 2 smartnet. I just want a scanner that will work with that without being too complicated. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Cities in your county have migrated to an analog trunking system. Any of the new analog trunk trackers, which are rather inexpensive, will follow that system.
The only system that is Phase I, is the military base, and it doesn't even have any TGID's posted in the database. The rest of the county has MotoTRBO systems, which no scanner made today will scan. You can, however, use a SDR dongle, computer, and associated software to decode those signals.
Larry

N8IAA

SOME OF WHAT YOU HAVE IN THE 5 COUNTIES AROUND YOU HAVE GONE TO P25 TYPE 1. YOU ARE LOOKING AT A rs 106, A UNIDEN 396XT, AS PORTABLES AND A 996 AS A MOBILE. IN REVIEWING THE 5 COUNTIES, NONE HAVE GON E TO P25 TYPE 2 SO YOU DO NOT NEED THE LATEST AND GREATEST.

Teufler, dude you have to lose the cap key on the keyboard:)
He was looking what to use for the local cities in his county.
Larry

iw378

Premium Subscriber
I have a 396xt en route after doing some research it seems it will fit the bill for my area.

Status
Not open for further replies.