New 436HP, but right off the Bat, a Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Checkerboard

Hi all, after reading much about the vaunted BCD 436 HP, I ordered mine from Amazon and it arrived yesterday. After entering in my Zip code of 95370, which is Sonora, CA near Yosemite, it started scanning the area. As the numerous names of agencies and their locales flashed on the screen, I was amazed at the broad range of agencies. Fish and wildlife, Parks and Recreation, and numerous counties beyond my own Tuolumne County. I believe I saw some areas like Fresno, Santa Cruz, and Monterey - well over a hundred miles away!

So, I read and re-read the part about how to define the Range from my home zip code of the stations the 436 scan under the zip code mode. Even after reducing from the default 20 miles down to 5 miles, I still see places like Tehachapi and Orange flash by the scanner's screen. These places are hundreds of miles away.

I know I will get around to using Sentinel and Favorites, but for now,I'd like to think there is a way to reduce the enormous number of channels my scanner is scanning. It takes a lot of time to sequence through all those channels, which means I am missing (potentially) more local action.

Does anyone have any information about how to truly reduce the Range of a zip-code search?

Thanks, Peter KM6U

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
I have a new HP-2 and it is similar to the 436 in its basic operation (from the RR DB being fully loaded into the scanner). I had a similar problem with trying (at first) to scan the entire DB.... not a good idea. But in the meantime, this has helped and much of it applies to the 436 (and there is a separate version for the 436) -
Easier to Read HomePatrol-1/HP-2 Digitall Scanner and Sentinel Manual

Checkerboard

Thank you both. I read the "Easier to Read " manual page dealing with Range.

Could it be that Range setting only applies to Favorite lists? If so, I do not have any Favorite lists yet. I am only entering my zip code and letting it scan to its heart's content.

It appears that reducing Range to zero has not effect on the zip code scanning mode, as I now just saw places like Mojave and Russian River appear!

Checkerboard

Thanks Voyager. I read the article and your answer can be the only explanation. These very distant services that I am scanning (but will never receive as they're too far away) must be coded in the database with an extremely long coverage radius/ range that overlaps my zip code. So, I have to bite the bullet and learn Sentinel and the whole Favorites list and organization thing, I guess...

Voyager

I would take your larger radius, add that to a new FL (ADD ALL SYSTEMS IN RANGE), then remove any you don't want to monitor. You will be left with what you want to hear.

Checkerboard

Wow is that possible? To copy over the zero-radius channels into Sentinel, edit them down, and then save as a Favorites list? That'll make it much easier!

phask

Premium Subscriber
Yes - or you can use Add on range (under edit) , in your profile have monitor full database on first.

Select what service types, range and zipcode, then trim as needed.

If just using it as a base without changing location have location control OFF on your favorite lists (as opposed to previous advice) there is nothing gained by having ON. Now for mobile , yes, but you nee to eneter new locations, either manually or via GPS.

Some the the DB data is just plain errors, some are the only way it can be entered, unless it's defined as as rectangle.

Example - another state's statewide system - may be 200 mile to cover that state and intrudes on your area.

Wow is that possible? To copy over the zero-radius channels into Sentinel, edit them down, and then save as a Favorites list? That'll make it much easier!

Status
Not open for further replies.