Just bought a new scanner, hope its not overkill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildcatfan

Hello everyone and thanks for having me. I just purchased a uniden bcd436hp. I live in Carter Co, ky. I have a very old uniden bearcat 142xl it will not pick up some of the frequencies I want, so I purchased the newer one. I bought it used off of Amazon warehouse for 360.00 allegedly it is new with damage to the box only and hasn't arrived yet. I hope I didnt mess up buying that particular scanner for my area? I really dont know anything about this hobby. I just wanted to get the fish and game, city police, sheriffs dept, statepol, FD, ems, etc. I just wanted to know is this thing capable of want I want for my particular area or did I waste my hard earned money?

captclint

Mentor
According to KY State Police Scanner Frequencies , the State Police are digital, so you did the right thing, and you got a good price, The 436 is as close to plug and play as you can get in a scanner. You still need to learn about turning services on, and how the zip code works, but once you do, you should get everything you want if their transmitting towers care close enough. I don't own one, so I don't know if the State Fish & Game and State Police get turned on along with the zipcode set up, or whether you have to turn them on separately. Come back here if you need more help.after you read this: Easier to Read BCD436/536HP Digital Scanner Manual

Last edited:

wildcatfan

Thank you for the reply Captclint,

Great, I was worried about it. I just wanted to buy one scanner that could be great for years to come, hopefully. And thank you for the link, im gonna look at it now.

wildcatfan

According to KY State Police Scanner Frequencies , the State Police are digital, so you did the right thing, and you got a good price, The 436 is as close to plug and play as you can get in a scanner. You still need to learn about turning services on, and how the zip code works, but once you do, you should get everything you want if their transmitting towers care close enough. I don't own one, so I don't know if the State Fish & Game and State Police get turned on along with the zipcode set up, or whether you have to turn them on separately. Come back here if you need more help.after you read this: Easier to Read BCD436/536HP Digital Scanner Manual

Thank you Captclint, thats a good question on the state frequencies. As far as towers around me, idk, but years ago my neighbors up the road had an old scanner that picked it all up with just the regular metal antenna and aluminum foil on their's. And they did live in a pretty deep holler. But I really dont know if digital works off of the same towers. That was probably 19 yrs ago.
I guess if the handheld doesn't pick up to good I could send it back and get the 536 instead.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
With KSP being on digital, you got what you needed. Fish and Wildlife is on the KSP system (7xxx units).

Some of your adjacent counties also appear to be using digital too. Unfortunately Morehed police uses Nexedge technology, which no scanner is capable of decoding.

wildcatfan

Ok, I got the new firmware updated and favorites list installed and seems to be working. But it seems like the 436 is behind my bc125xl. Could this be in delay settings? Or is that particular scanner (436) and antenna just different and not as receptive as the metal pull antenna on my bc125xl? Btw I know frequency has alot to do with antenna type. Idk im all ears. My other scanner picks up great.

It says full data scan, I just enterd my zip and entered it.
Being new to this that 436 is kinda overwhelming...lol

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If you are scanning both the full database and Favorites Lists you have created, a lot of frequencies are being scanned. So I can see why your 125 may capture a frequency/channel before the 436.

There are several ways of scanning with these newer model scanners. I create Favorites Lists for my local area and any travel destinations. When I'm at home or at a travel destination, all I'll scan is the Favorites List(s) and leave the full database off. When I'm between the two, the full database is on and Favorites Lists are off.

I'm fortunate enough to have a GPS that tells my scanner where I am. However this can also be done by changing zip code for the current location and using a larger Range value so you don't have to change zip code every few minutes.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
But it seems like the 436 is behind my bc125xl. Could this be in delay settings?

What exactly do you mean when you say it's "behind" the bc125? Is it receiving ok, but the audio lags behind the 125, like an echo? Is it missing transmissions the other scanner is catching? Is it clipping the first word or two of transmissions? More detail would helpful.

wildcatfan

What exactly do you mean when you say it's "behind" the bc125? Is it receiving ok, but the audio lags behind the 125, like an echo? Is it missing transmissions the other scanner is catching? Is it clipping the first word or two of transmissions? More detail would helpful.

No echo, It is clipping and sometimes missing the transmission. Let me correct myself my other scanner is a bc142xl. Thanks for helping me sparklehorse.

wildcatfan

Listening to it right now and it's picking up at the sametime (sometimes), but mid transmission it cuts in and out. It will cut out and I can hear my other scanner still talking. Then 436 will pick back up with my other scanner and cut again.

N8IAA

Listening to it right now and it's picking up at the sametime (sometimes), but mid transmission it cuts in and out. It will cut out and I can hear my other scanner still talking. Then 436 will pick back up with my other scanner and cut again.

Make sure that you don't have any priorities enabled: WX, Close Call, or frequencies.
And it does matter how you have the scanners programmed. Antennas make a difference too.
Larry

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber

What exactly are you listening to on each radio? The BC142XL is an analog scanner. It sounds like on this old radio you are listening to an analog patch of a digital channel, while at the same time listening to the actual digital transmission on your 436. Is that correct? If that scenario is correct, then there can be many things causing you to get choppy, broken, clipped or garbled transmissions on the P25 digital channel on the 436. Let us know if I've correctly described your situation, and what exactly you are having trouble monitoring, and we should be able to give you some ideas on how you might improve your reception.

wildcatfan

Ok, I had (close call on). I turned it off, we will see if that helps. Heres what im listening on. Carter County, Kentucky (KY) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=720
Also, I found 2 old 12" motorola cell phone (I think) magnet antenna. One has the twisted (cork screw)center antenna, and the other has thicker center part antennaThey have a small coax about 12 to 16' long with what looks to be basic coax ends. Could I use this for my 436 and is there a proper way to cut/and change (youtube video) coax ends to sma? Thank you again.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Also, I found 2 old 12" motorola cell phone (I think) magnet antenna. One has the twisted (cork screw)center antenna, and the other has thicker center part antennaThey have a small coax about 12 to 16' long with what looks to be basic coax ends. Could I use this for my 436 and is there a proper way to cut/and change (youtube video) coax ends to sma? Thank you again.

I wouldn't mess with an old cell phone antenna. It's unlikely it will ever work as well as something purpose built for the frequencies you monitor.

Looks like for your area you'd be monitoring Public Safety on VHF-Hi and UHF frequencies. I don't see any 800 MHz systems (I might have missed something though). Anyway, if VHF-Hi and UHF are all you need, then I'd get something like the Watson regular gainer in SMA when it comes back in stock:

WSMA-801 Regular Gainer SMA Portable Antenna

They have it in BNC too. You could get that one and use the adapter that came with your radio.

Here's some others I've found to work well for VHF-Hi and UHF, choose SMA over BNC if there's a choice:

HT-55 118-960 MHz Tin Rubber SMA Antenna

Comet BNC24 and SMA24 Amateur HT Antennas

Diamond RH77CA SRH77CA Antenna

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If the "cutting out" happens regularly, such as every couple of seconds, this is a priority issue (weather/close call/priority channel) and not an antenna issue. Especially if what you hear before it cuts out is strong.

If you are in Carter county, the stock antenna should work unless there are mountains between you and the transmitter tower.

wildcatfan

Yea, there are definitely mountains around me. It was just the other radio picked up so good in comparison. I have definitely been trying to double check the weather, close call, and priority setting to make sure they are off. The weather is a federal service type right? If so I have that (federal) service type turned off. Is that all I need to do for weather? Im looking at this manual at the moment.

If it is the reception here, I wonder how much better that antenna sparklehorse suggested would be for my particular area and the things I wanna scan? Maybe I should look into an outdoor antenna and sending my 436 back for the 536. Lol

Its just that thing was kinda expensive, maybe I should have went with the base instead.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I don't believe the weather broadcast channels are classified as I can't see much purpose in scanning them. They would stop and stay on the channel.

To turn weather priority off via the keypad it is Menu>WX Operation>WX Alt Priority>Off

All of the priority things can be checked and turned on/off by using Sentinel to read the scanner, then editing the Profile. If any changes are made, do a write to scanner. That's the way I'd do it.

An outside antenna is always a plus - get it as high as you can and use the best coax you can afford. You could adapt the coax to fit your 436. (I've got a BCD396XT on an outside antenna and get noticeably better reception, though my "workhorse" scanner is a 536 on a separate outside antenna).

wildcatfan

Thank you, it was already off. Think I need a work horse...lol
I actually have an old lattice style round tube, box in shape, beam laying in the woods behind my house. It was my uncles cb antenna 20yrs ago he took it down and sold his place, but he left it laying there. Im sure I could have it if I wanted it. Its pretty long . But if I could get it moved and stood back up would be a job. Probably have to anchor it with concrete? How far can you run coax for a scanner and whats the best 50ohm? There is a mountain behind my house to the top would be several hundred feet.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Yes, best to anchor in concrete for stability. Driving a ground rod and using a ground wire is also a good thought for lightning issues.

LMR 400 (a 50 ohm cable) is probably the better choice. While I'm sure there is a maximum recommended length, the typical home scanner person probably won't get close to that. You'll probably want to create a couple of "drip loops" of cable at the top. Even though you may be very diligent about waterproofing connections, moisture does get inside and some years down the road you may need to replace the connectors. Having a little extra cable will relieve anxiety when that time comes.

Status
Not open for further replies.