BC60XLT analog scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcookschillin

HI new to forum returned scanner and cb user here...its been a while! I purchased the above scanner because I have a firehall across the street from me and wanted to listen. Turned on scanner and got nothing. Zippo, zilch, zero? Does anyone know if the Western NY area besides Amherst has gone digital and can I buy a radio to listen. Are they encrypted and if so can I still listen? Amherst dispatch is all I can get on this scanner?
TY
Jamie

Last edited:

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
HI new to forum returned scanner and cb user here...its been a while! I purchased the above scanner because I have a firehall across the street from me and wanted to listen. Turned on scanner and got nothing. Zippo, zilch, zero?

OK, did you program any frequencies for your county? Or just turn it on and let it scan? I can't tell from the way you worded your question. If you haven't programmed anything into your scanner, try starting with any frequencies of interest you find here:

Erie County, New York (NY) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

jcookschillin

BC60XLT

Hi thanks for the reply...I have put every single channel that I can think of on the list and nothing except for the Town of Amherst...I get Town of Amherst on whatever channel I program it on but nothing else...I live in the Town of Tonawanda and Amherst is 5 miles from me...???

Dragon911

Hi thanks for the reply...I have put every single channel that I can think of on the list and nothing except for the Town of Amherst...I get Town of Amherst on whatever channel I program it on but nothing else...I live in the Town of Tonawanda and Amherst is 5 miles from me...???

http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/11297

You have a neighbor with an audio feed which also lists the frequencies.

Program the frequencies to match and see if you can hear traffic (delayed audio) on the feed.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Tonawanda Area Fire Departments

You have a neighbor with an audio feed which also lists the frequencies.

Program the frequencies to match and see if you can hear traffic (delayed audio) on the feed.

That's a good idea. I would try that and see what you can figure out.

Based on the database it looks like you should be able to receive a lot things in your area. It's mostly VHF and UHF conventional, which your old scanner model should handle OK. Not much P25 or trunked, at least not much Public Safety on trunked systems. The fact your radio picks up Amherst is encouraging. Sounds like it's working OK. Does it receive any NOAA weather broadcasts on the WX channels? If you're picking up weather OK then the radio is probably fine. It is possible the database is inaccurate, so the suggestion to ask in the NY forums is good advice. Local knowledge is always best.

jcookschillin

Thank you all very much. I did plug in all the local frequencies and I have been picking up the weather channels perfectly so its all I can do. I sent it off to a professional to see if he can bring it back to life. I appreciate everyones help again...TY

Status
Not open for further replies.