Choosing a new scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been away from scanning for about 20 years and a lot has changed. I'm looking at a new scanner that is compatible with my area's police and emergency departments. I already got a reference off of policescanners.net but just want to make sure the scanner I'm looking at is going to work. The system type I want to monitor is a Motorola Type II SmartZone Analog and APCO-25 Common Air Interface with analog and digital. Is this a phase 1 or phase 2 system and will a Whistler WS1065 work. I need to go the cheapest route possible.

Thank you for your time.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I've been away from scanning for about 20 years and a lot has changed. I'm looking at a new scanner that is compatible with my area's police and emergency departments. I already got a reference off of policescanners.net but just want to make sure the scanner I'm looking at is going to work. The system type I want to monitor is a Motorola Type II SmartZone Analog and APCO-25 Common Air Interface with analog and digital. Is this a phase 1 or phase 2 system and will a Whistler WS1065 work. I need to go the cheapest route possible.

Thank you for your time.
Hi Tuxedo

Welcome to RadioReference

For your specific county, and the one's immediately surrounding you, the WS1065 would work on this system: Southeast Texas Regional Radio System (SETRRS) Trunking System, Beaumont, Texas - Scanner Frequencies

Chambers & Liberty County, to your west & northwest, use this system: Texas Wide Area Radio Network (TxWARN) (P25) Trunking System, Various, Texas - Scanner Frequencies
While that system is "listed" as Phase II, which the WS1065 will not handle, the talkgroups on use in those counties are P25 Phase I, so the 1065 can track them. In the Harris County/Houston area, the Phase II is used on a number of talkgroups, and that would require a different scanner if you travel down the coast to that area, and take your scanner with you.

I guess it would be wise to go ahead and look at Phase II scanners since neighboring counties are already in transition to it. No telling how long it would be until I'm in the dark again.

Thanks for the help.

safetyobc

I would get a phase 2 scanner. Look at the Unidentifiable BCD536HP or 436HP. Both are great radios with a lot of features.

I broke down and ordered a BCD536HP. Certainly wasn't the cheapest route, but if you're going to do something, do it right the first time. I'll let you know soon how I like it.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I guess it would be wise to go ahead and look at Phase II scanners since neighboring counties are already in transition to it. No telling how long it would be until I'm in the dark again.

Thanks for the help.
I would agree. That's what I recommend to anyone here in the DFW Metro area that asks the same questions. Several of the larger suburban systems have either made the switch to Phase II, are in the process of upgrading, or have plans announced for new systems in the next couple of years.

While you may not need it currently, you may in the future, or if you travel to and/or thru other areas that use Phase II, whether your travel is for pleasure, business, or visiting relatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.