New Journalist NEEDS HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suza271

Hi there,

I've recently switched careers and I'm trying to get a job or even a story published in my local paper. I'm 35 and it's been difficult to break into a new profession. I was employed as a writer for a startup then downsized. So, I'm trying to get noticed. I have submit my resume but I'm doubtful I have enough experience. In any case I figured if I keep showing up at scenes and helping a contact I've made I may be able to just get noticed.

Anyway.... Due to unemployment I don't have much $ to spend on a scanner but I know I need the basics to get to a scene. So far I've been relying on the website for calls and EMS fire.

I've read about all this but I have to tell you I'm still confused. I think I have a basic understanding. I was going to buy a $35 eBay scanner but I don't think it's going to work.

I need help finding a moderately priced scanner to hear the PINELLAS COUNTY SHERIFF and CLEARWATER POLICE in FL. I thought I was looking in the right place here but maybe I'm wrong https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=367

Does the 800 in front of the sheriff mean I need 800mhz?

What does Telm mean?

Or should I be looking here?

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=270

That one is much more confusing. From what I can gather most are Analog. What is deprecated?

Can someone please help?? I'm very sorry if I'm not getting this. We used to live in Baltimore and I just used the app to listen for fun. Now it's professional so I need to invest. I did find a couple on CL. If at all possible I'd like to spend less than $100.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!!

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I think the system you'd be more interested in is this: Pinellas County Public Services (P25) Trunking System, Pinellas County, Florida - Scanner Frequencies

I'd probably post something in the Florida page asking what is used in Pinellas County, if there isn't a post already there somewhere.

Yes you'll need an 800 MHz scanner capable of digital decoding. Unfortunately these are expensive and run $400-500 (unless you are lucky enough to find a used one that still works).

TELM means telemetry, which is a form of digital transmission. Compatible equipment and software on the receiving end is needed. This stuff is a whole different creature than a scanner.

Deprecated means frequencies or talkgroups that have been retired from service. They are listed more for reference purposes giving the message of "They used to use these, but they ain't using them no more and you should look for another system."

While the sheriff isn't included in this feed, the fire service is. Pinellas County Florida Live Audio Feeds. It can be loaded in a smart phone and may be a low cost option.

Rred

Android phone? You could download "Scanner Radio", free version or pro. Pinellas County fire & EMS feed is one of the options.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Status
Not open for further replies.