Radio Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sepharious

Extra Class Operator
Premium Subscriber
Hello all!

I'm looking for a good radio that does 2m/70cm and at least picks up something like 80-107 for music and such. I'd like to have one mobile radio for my vehicle. If it could do 10/11 meters that would be great too (not needed though.)

I know the antenna system would get complicated, but I'll deal with that on its own. I just need one radio and not 2 or 3 in my truck. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

sepharious

Extra Class Operator
Premium Subscriber
Kenwood TM-V71 but it does not have good time radio in it... no 88 to 108 FM.

Yeah I'd need those FM bands on it for music, etc. That's how I justify taking my factory radio out. My console just can't hold more than one and I don't really care for all of the extra mounts/work that would need to be done to fit another one in there.

Just looking for one radio that can do those things. I kind of figured there may not be anything with those capabilities all in one package.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
The yaesu 8900 or its knockoff the tyt 9800. It has 2,6,10 meters and 70cm. Yaesu says recieve is 108-180 so there's no fm and I suspect the tyt may be the same story. As for 11 meters, you're not going to legally find it paired with any other bands.

sepharious

Extra Class Operator
Premium Subscriber
The yaesu 8900 or its knockoff the tyt 9800. It has 2,6,10 meters and 70cm. Yaesu says recieve is 108-180 so there's no fm and I suspect the tyt may be the same story. As for 11 meters, you're not going to legally find it paired with any other bands.

I had the TYT TH 9800. I was able to switch it into AM mode and talk on the CB. But it was like you said...a knock off. So bad I sent it back earlier today. Didn't have FM up to 107 either. My $20-$30 Baofeng UV-5R dual band has the bands up to 107...

Didn't expect finding a decent mobile well under $1000 that has it to be this difficult.

Last edited:

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
One thing that you might want consider....

Communications radios that add Broadcast Band FM as an afterthought will be pretty rough to listen to.

The music will be in mono rather than stereo and the frequency response will be around 300 to 3200 hz (which is the standard for voice communications). There's no need for a hi-fi audio output stage in a communications receiver. Even if you add a larger speaker to replace the ~ 2 inch speaker in the radio it will still sound pretty tinny.

N3VEM

Ditto on what jwt said. With that, the only radios I know of that will let you listen to everything you said (2m, 440, fm broadcast, 10m, 11m) would be the all band rigs, like the Yeasu 857d, icom 7000 or 7100, etc. you can't transmit on 11m with anything other than an approved 11m radio, but you could at least listen.
To get all that your getting into more $, but don't know exactly your price range. With that said, I love my 857d!
www.n3vem.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sepharious

Extra Class Operator
Premium Subscriber
I went all in with the Yaesu 857D.

Figured if I'm going to get something that can do it all, might as well go all the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.