Hi from Houston

Status
Not open for further replies.

radio_waves

Hi. I'm Bill and new here on RR. I have a Radio Shack DX-390 and want to get into SWL(I've just been using the radio for ball games on Am and music on FM).

K4EET

Chaplain
Hi. I'm Bill and new here on RR. I have a Radio Shack DX-390 and want to get into SWL(I've just been using the radio for ball games on Am and music on FM).

Welcome to RR. I am a ham radio operator that got started first with scanners, then a short wave receiver then eventually a full ham setup in 1974. Have you looked at any receivers yet? My first short wave receiver was a Radio Shack DX-160 way back in 1968 or thereabouts as a teenager. It was fascinating! So tell us a little more where you are with respect to what you know about SWL, receivers, main listening interests, etc. Are you familiar with the World Radio TV (WRTH) handbook? It is a book that covers SWL frequencies from A to Z. Good book to have as a SWL. I'll be looking forward to your answers...

73 (best wishes in ham radio lingo), Dave K4EET

Edit: Dumb me, I just looked at the Radio Shack DX-390. I thought that was a scanner but now I see that it is a portable SWL receiver. That will get you started but I bet once you start listening, you are going to want a better receiver and an outdoor antenna. So anyway, you have a starting receiver. I'll wait for your reply...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.