Listening to non-trunked on trunked scnr

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc2142

Feed Provider
Can i listen to non-trunked freq's on a trunked scanner? Im looking to get a new scanner and i dont want to buy one if its not going to work.

KD0TAZ

Feed Provider
Just keep in mind scanning between conventional and trunked systems can cause you to miss things on the trunked system, especially if it's busy. The scanner has to drop the trunking control channel in order to scan the conventional frequencies, then when it gets back to the trunked system it has to re-sync with the control channel in order to see if there's activity. That takes longer than simply scanning for carrier activity on conventional frequencies.

dsalomon

Premium Subscriber
There are also analog and digital signals to listen to, both trunked and non-trunked. Make sure you get a current scanner that handles digital signals.

sc2142

Feed Provider
There are also analog and digital signals to listen to, both trunked and non-trunked. Make sure you get a current scanner that handles digital signals.

Not sure whats currently in use in my area, Ive currently got a realistic pro 2023, Not sure if you can get information about whats used in my area by the scanner i have, but there it is.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Our database has the following for Elmore county (just click on the blue - anything in that color is a link)

Elmore County, Idaho (ID) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

At the very bottom, you will see a listing of the trunked systems in your area. If you wish to hear the ICAWIN or the AFB (assuming you are in range), you will need a digital trunktracker. Such a scanner can hear both analog and digital, depending on how its programmed.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.