Old user looking for new scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbys35

Hello, I am in the market for a new scanner. My old one was a Radio Shack model from the early 90's. Anyway, I'm looking for a handheld unit that covers a lot. By that I mean railroads, weather, city emergency, trunked and non trunked systems. And anything else old newbie missed.

Looking for a model that I can use for a long time and enjoy. My budget ceiling is $300. Thank you for the help and advice.

dmack550

Premium Subscriber
Personally I would spend another 50.00 or so and get the bcd325p2. It's a great mobile scanner and covers Phase 2 as well so you can grow into it. But you might want to share with everybody here where you live, specifically what you want to listen to and whether you want new or used. You might be able to get by with a used scanner on eBay if your services are not Phase 2 or encrypted. The more info you share the better suggestions we can make to help you out.

robbys35

I'm from the metro Detroit (MI) area. I never thought of a used scanner. Something to check out.

D

darunimal

PSR-800 - The RadioReference Wiki, The lowest Priced NEW scanner you can get is the RADIO SHACK PRO-668, it's functional tripplets with the GRE PSR-800 and Whistler WS1080, there are a few new internals that are different(GRE went under and Whistler bought all the rest), all the info for all 3 is 99.9 percent the same and software is different but mostly in name only; 1 person wrote them. Really the PSR-800 wiki page is the most comprehensive of the 3 so thats why I hyperlinked it. The only caveat is the Radio Shack doesn't offer a long warranty (30 days I believe) and really no support directly from them at all, but you came to the right place for the real support anyway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.