hello

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdmrichie

Hey everyone, just thought i'd say hello. Just picked up my first scanner. Live in New York. Been listening only for a few minutes and think I am hooked.

rctelles

Premium Subscriber
It'll do that to you! Welcome to the hobby. What radio model you rocking there? What are you picking up?

sdmrichie

Got a BCT15X. Mainly listening to NYPD atm, the transit stuff can be quite interesting. Was listening as they shut off power to the one of the lines in Manhattan easier, was either a robbery or a body on the tracks, they mentioned both but i hadn't put it on hold and was still scanning so I missed the start. I picked the 15X as it was cheap and I didn't want to pay a lot in the chance I couldn't pick up any signals due to where I am. Hoping to pick up either a 536HP or a 436HP. I am using teamspeak at the moment so I can listen to it while at work and have written a web app that uses the FreeSCAN remote control feature so I can control it a bit remotely also.

safetyobc

Welcome! That's a great radio you have! Air traffic can be interesting as well. I'm sure there is no lack of things to listen to in NY

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sdmrichie

Unfortunately I can't pick up the airports. I can get some heavily distorted traffic on 1 frequency for Laguardia and 1 from JFK but it's so bad I can't actually make out what they are saying.

DickH

Unfortunately I can't pick up the airports. I can get some heavily distorted traffic on 1 frequency for Laguardia and 1 from JFK but it's so bad I can't actually make out what they are saying.

You should hear the aircraft on approach. If you're trying to hear the towers, you need to be nearby.

Blackink

Hi and welcome to the scanner enthusiasts world!!!!

By chance, are you using the stock antenna? If so, I would suggest, if at all possible, to get an exterior antenna for that. Then see what you start hearing for frequencies!

I live in Central Vermont near Montpelier the Capital city, and before I connected an exterior antenna (ST2) to my BCT15X, I was probably hearing from as far away as 35 mile radius tops.

Once I put up the ST2 30 feet in the air, I started hearing from as far away as Plattsburgh, NY (about 60 miles as the crow flies)!!! Clear as if it was in my back yard!!!

You might hear a difference (better reception) if you were to move the scanner outside using the stock antenna that came with it. I moved my scanner outside, one level down from where I am at now using the stock antenna, and just moving the scanner outside made quite a difference in pulling in frequencies better. I did all this because the weather was nice and I didn't want to be stuck in the house and I didn't own a portable scanner at the time. And I don't have metal in my walls either!! I do have a metal roof though.

But in the mean time, enjoy your new scanner. You'll love it even more when you start hearing things like a live chase happening and listening to the police report back as to what is happening! Very exciting!

rctelles

Premium Subscriber
Dang, that really is a good looking scanner. I may need to get one for my base. Its a little cheaper than the portable BC346XT I got for learning.

Status
Not open for further replies.