Whistler WS 1040 Digital Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

sterlingcat12001

Premium Subscriber
I have just purchased a Whistler WS 1040 Digital Scanner, also purchased 4 NiMH high cap batteries for it, can I charge those in the unit and for how long do they need to charge, how long do they usually last off charger as well?

Ed6698

You would be much better off charging batteries in a good battery charger. Charging batteries in the radio is about the worst possible way to charge batteries and a risk of damage to radio. Basically it is just a slow death to the batteries when they are charged in the radio.

sterlingcat12001

Premium Subscriber
I'll give it a try, but never had problems before in unit. Basically a lifetime scanner operator, now 54 yrs old. It just amazed me on first charge they lasted 1 1/2 hrs. All night charge too.

You would be much better off charging batteries in a good battery charger. Charging batteries in the radio is about the worst possible way to charge batteries and a risk of damage to radio. Basically it is just a slow death to the batteries when they are charged in the radio.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
You will definitely need an external charger for the WS1040. The internal charging circuit basically only trickle charges due to some regulation in California. As the result, the WS1040 does not really charge batteries unless you want to wait a week or so for a full charge.

gordonbrittas

New batteries take a number of charges before they reach their optimum,around 4-5.

Always run them right down before a recharge,and as others have said external chargers are the best method.

Ed6698

I found the best way to work with rechargeable batteries is to have more then one set. That way you can always have a set ready to put in scanner.

sterlingcat12001

Premium Subscriber
Results so far are... 3 hrs 45 minutes on the external charge and still going, no low battery beeps yet. Yesterday lasted 1 1/2 hrs in radio charge, a Whistler rep also emailed me back and stated the same as all replies to this forum post. The rep said I could charge in the radio, but would take several days -vs- a external charger, externals are faster.

n5ims

It's not a good idea to charge your batteries in your scanner. There are many threads here of folks that have done so and the batteries overheated and damaged their radios. Get multiple sets of batteries and rotate them in your scanner while doing all charging using external chargers, designed for the batteries you use! The scanner you save may be your own!

Don't believe me? Read this thread (especially post #18 that has pictures) --> http://forums.radioreference.com/radio-shack-scanners/199255-pro-106-batteries-charger.html <-- Please note that those pictures show the black battery holder that isn't supposed to allow the batteries to be charged. Problem is, it isn't all that hard to bend the charging pin over so the batteries will try to charge (or more specifically overcharge) even using the black battery holder.

sterlingcat12001

Premium Subscriber
So far I'm trying external charge, seems to charge faster and last twice as long. A rep from Whistler also said it's a good idea to do this way, as it takes days to charge in unit. Today lasted almost 10 hrs on a charge, I have 2 sets of batts, others are charging now while I operate the charged ones. I will continue this way.

It's not a good idea to charge your batteries in your scanner. There are many threads here of folks that have done so and the batteries overheated and damaged their radios. Get multiple sets of batteries and rotate them in your scanner while doing all charging using external chargers, designed for the batteries you use! The scanner you save may be your own!

Don't believe me? Read this thread (especially post #18 that has pictures) --> http://forums.radioreference.com/radio-shack-scanners/199255-pro-106-batteries-charger.html <-- Please note that those pictures show the black battery holder that isn't supposed to allow the batteries to be charged. Problem is, it isn't all that hard to bend the charging pin over so the batteries will try to charge (or more specifically overcharge) even using the black battery holder.

Status
Not open for further replies.